Garden Tractor Forums banner
Showcase cover image for Ingersoll 4020PS with shop built detachable + quick-attach loader

General Information

Bob Neumann
Power Red
Custom 3 pt. Hitch, Custom Detachable Loader w/ quick-attach bucket, HD/reinforced frame/axle/tires
This is my Ingersoll 4020PS. I now call it a "4620" because after the modifications, it's equivalent to a 6020, but improved with both a detachable loader and a quick-attach bucket.

It takes 5 minutes or less to install or detach the loader from the tractor, and just a couple minutes to swap out the bucket/forks. The quick-attach bucket system is based on the system used by Toro Dingos, but widened to 36". I currently have a bucket and a set of 42" pallet forks. I've tested it to lifting 1000lbs, it wouldn't do much more than that.

I started by fabricating a new HD front axle w/ Timken bearing hubs, and moving the tie rod to behind the axle. The front tires are HD 6 ply hi-flotation. Next I reinforced the frame, adding 4"X2"X1/4" angle iron to the frame rails, reinforced the frame where it meets the transaxle, and added triangular struts running up from the sleeve-hitch mounts to the loader crossmember. Bucket tested to 1000lbs, will definitely do more. Greatly improved parking brake, just push the "special" pedal to set the brake.

For hydraulics I chose to machine a power beyond port into the factory TCV and fabricate a custom pb sleeve integrated into a #8 SAE swivel. Then to boost hydro pressure to the PB port, it was necessary to block the factory "accessory lift" pressure relief, and install pressure relief into both of the "accessory lift" work ports at a point after they leave the TCV. For that purpose I created a custom dual-port pressure relief valve. So the deck and 3-pt lifts still have pressure relief at about 400PSI, while the power beyond port delivers about 2300 psi to the loader valve.

To detach the loader, you suspend the back end from a (purpose built steel) sawhorse, pull the two upper 1" pins, and move two hydraulic quick-disconnects. Then back away.

I used a thin/low profile crossmember, so the mower deck still has "full" travel. (90% plus of original). The new front axle has slightly improved turning radius vs. factory. Front Snap-fast attachments still function as normal. Operator ingress/egress is very good from either side, loader installed or not.

Rear tires are loaded with RV Antifreeze, (118lbs each) and the bucket will pick up 1000lbs with no addtional counterweight. (But rear tires become very light with that weight) For full bucket capabiltiy, simply pick up a single 330 lb concrete counterweight with the 3 pt. hitch.

For slick/muddy work, 2-link tire chains are required. It's not quite as good as ag-1's but ag's are poor for mowing, so it's a necessary tradeoff.

My goal was to learn from every commercial and private loader build out there and create the very best loader possible while keeping the tractor's factory capabilites fully intact. I also documented the process along the way. I'd like to think that I achieved my goal, though I couldn't have done it without studying and learning from both Case's original commercial loader and the many shop-built loader projects that have come before.


There are no comments to display.