Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is a the 68th anniversary of the first nuke used in war. Many people believe it was a bad thing and it was. War is a horrible thing and I know several of our members can attest to that. We were lucky that President Truman was a veteran of the trenches in WWI. He knew that we had to do a bad thing to avoid the horrors that would happen if we tried to invade Japan.

If we had invaded Japan, there probably would have been over a million Americans killed and ten times that wounded. After a month of the fighting, we would have gotten very calloused and it would have been like hot areas in the Nam where we just burned everything. The b29s would have fire bombed every square yard of Japan. Nobody talks about it but the nukes probably saved 50 million Japanese lives.

There are probably 20 million Americans, including myself, that are alive today because of the nukes. I thank God for Truman, Tibbets, The Manhatan Project and all vets.

Good Luck, Rick

·
Certified Wheel Horse Nut
817 Posts
Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: tinbender7

·
Registered
429 Posts
I feel the same way. My Grandfather, whom I never got to meet, was a Pearl Harbor Vet, although he was a survivor the impact it left on him did him in. I was thankful that President Truman did what he did before worse could happen.

Reactions: tinbender7

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Good thing we bombed Japan and won the war, otherwisw everything we buy would be "Made in Japan".......Wait a minute...........

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
War is very horrible, it didn't affect this country like it did to Europe and Japan. I spent 27 months in West Berlin, and reminders of the war were everywhere. Even 40 years after the war, (I was there from 1978 to 1980), there were still scars left from the war.

BTW the assault plan was to use upto 7 nukes on the beach before the invasion. This was before the affects of radiation were fully known. Also there were 3 duel survivors, they were at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Reactions: boyscout862
1 - 6 of 6 Posts