Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
22 Posts
I put the mower deck on yesterday to test it out. Besides being noisy (really loud), the deck seemed to work fine. After 30 minutes of use, I disengaged the PTO (moved lever all the way to the LEFT) and the mower was still going strong. I moved the height adjustment up and down, to no effect. I had the blower on this winter and had no problem like this...

Any suggestions?

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
On my 1053,which is the same as the 1050,the PTO lever has to be all the way to the LEFT,as seen when sitting on the seat, to disengage.

Is your PTO idler pulley moving in and out freely when moving the lever ?

Reactions: jeffsross

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,263 Posts
jeffsross said:
I put the mower deck on yesterday to test it out. Besides being noisy (really loud), the deck seemed to work fine. After 30 minutes of use, I disengaged the PTO (moved lever all the way to the right) and the mower was still going strong. I moved the height adjustment up and down, to no effect. I had the blower on this winter and had no problem like this...

Any suggestions?
Are the belt guides on the engine and PTO pulleys in place?

The PTO assembly is held on with 3 three capscrews, and the PTO assembly has slotted holes to allow vertical adjustment. .....It is possible that you do not have enough slack in the PTO belts when the PTO is in neutral. ......It is also possible that the PTO assembly has moved if the bolts were not tight enough.

As Maynard already suggested, the PTO idler pulley must not make contact with the PTO belts when in the "OFF" position. .....And he is absolutely correct that the lever gets moved to the LEFT to STOP the PTO. .....The idler pulley should move away from the belts so that there is clearance. .....If the pulley is contacting the belts, your PTO linkage may be binding.

Moving the mower height adjustment up & down has no relevance to the PTO engaging or disengaging.

Bolens mower decks were loud, but if the noise is excessive, it is indicative of bad idler pulley bearings, bad blade-spindle bearings, no lube in the gearbox, or bad bearings in the gearbox.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PTO engage wheel is not moving, the lever is all the way to the left. I will check to see if the belts have enough slack in them. As I did not have this problem with the snow blower, I was surprised...

Thanks, Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Does the wheel move in and out towards the belts with the moving of the handle? If it doesn't sounds like a roll pin is missing or a bolt. Can't remember what all is on the pto control rod. Do you have the belt guard that is down at the pto?

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pulley works fine, I am leaning toward Bruce's solution and probably need to adjust the PTO... It is pretty clean now and should be easy to do...

now.jpg

Attachments

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
WOW,that 1050 looks good.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,263 Posts
jeffsross said:
I am currently searching for a steering wheel, let me know!
Nice job on the tractor!

Steering wheels can usually be repaired with PC-7 Epoxy found in most hardware and big-box stores.

Fill, sand, paint, and it's usually as good as new, unless major sections are broken out.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Bruce Dorsi said:
Fill, sand, paint, and it's usually as good as new, unless major sections are broken out.
Yep,that works great. I have seen one guy just use body fill and it looked good,but I would rather use epoxy.

·
Tractorholic
2,075 Posts
I have missed this thread before. Nice job on the restore. The only thing that would have helped me was to have pics as you did the restore. The before and after are so dramatic it is hard to realize that you are looking at the same tractor. Just have to say once more, fantastic job on your restoration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts