Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tractorholic
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1050 Started great and did the dethatching and aerating just fine. Stopped a couple of times and it stopped and started just fine. At the end of the job I turned of the key off and it acted like it was dieseling. Further investigation led me to the Starter running constantly. I have to remove the ground from the battery to get the Starter to stop. Where should I be looking?

Here's some pics just because I like pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If it does it again with the same solenoid try tapping on it it should make it stop. When you add power to your solenoid there are contacts in there that are spring loaded and sometime (specialty with Chinese made) they get stuck.

Do your self a big favor when looking for a replacement get USA made only...

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,232 Posts

·
A Little Off Plumb
7,828 Posts
While starter solenoids may look the same in either 3 or 4 post variations they may be wired differently internally - attached are five schematics of the most common variations. If the solenoid is wired differently to the one you are replacing it may cause damage to the solenoid or another electrical part in the circuit or simply not function. Sometimes a four terminal insulated base solenoid may be adapted to work in a three terminal application by running a jumper wire to the appropriate small terminal and either 12 Volts + or ground.

Attachments

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,232 Posts
Thanks Bruce,

What's the difference? I thought the solenoid just directed power to the starter.
The link in my previous post explains the difference between the Bolens # 1717048 and # 1709173 solenoids.

29Chev's diagrams show the internal connections of the solenoids.

Yes, the solenoid directs the power to the solenoid, but its method of activation is opposite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts