Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1220 that the hi/low won't move. I am going to dig in if it ever stops raining out. I am thinking of pulling off the fender and transaxle cover to see what may be binding this up. The rest of the tractor is all original and complete. Ever hear of a stuck hi/low shifter on these gear driven tractors? I would like to see how well it runs. It came with a ton of stuff.....

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
The other thing I noticed when I had the cover off dad's 1053 is that if the cover isn't put on with the lever for the hi/low just right the lever will bind. I think it will either be that or like Brian said may just need a little lube and get freed up from lack of use.

·
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I plan on getting the tranny plate off for a closer look. I have not taken any pictures yet but hope to soon. I bought this to steal a few parts from but if I get it running I may just sell it since it is so complete and put the money towards my G14 refurbish.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
More than likely it also has a detent to hold shift shaft in place. If not simply frozen up, look for a bolt head in-line/over the shaft. Usually a hollow bolt with spring & detent plunger. This could be sticking it also.

·
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
olcowhand said:
More than likely it also has a detent to hold shift shaft in place. If not simply frozen up, look for a bolt head in-line/over the shaft. Usually a hollow bolt with spring & detent plunger. This could be sticking it also.
Thanks for that tip. You guys really have me thinking/hoping that this is a simple fix.... I hope to have a look over the weekend in-between working on the G14.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
If you find out it isn't something simple let us know what it is and I might be able to get you the part because we have two extra transmissions that we can rob parts from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts