Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had a bolens, there's a 1256 supposedly recently stopped running, looks complete, he's asking 150. Another guy nearby has "tube frame attachments," 1256 is a tube frame, right?

So I'm wondering if these old Wisconsin bolens are cheap to keep running? Parts still available, points, carb kits, etc...?

I'd just be putting a front blade on it for yard cleanup and tug.

i like the idea of having just a few hundred bucks tied up in a machine, instead of a couple thousand in the Case and JD... any old GT is just one sheared bolt away from catastrophic failure....

appreciate any advice/info/tips, they look like cool little tractors, easy to move around, thanks for any help

00U0U_jGBksNhLMDM_600x450.jpg

Attachments

·
145 Posts
Bolens' are great machines, especially the tube-frames and large-frames. You can't go wrong for $150. The wheel weights alone regularly go for $125-$150+. Once you get it working, you won't regret your purchase. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
Bolens' are great machines, especially the tube-frames and large-frames. You can't go wrong for $150. The wheel weights alone regularly go for $125-$150+. Once you get it working, you won't regret your purchase. Good luck!
Those are off brand weights...

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Do some serious checking on that solid state ignition before you jump in. Also, like Dr. Bolens said, Parts are getting pricey. Very pricey.

·
Registered
786 Posts
This is going to have the TRA12D with solid state ignition

Almost All parts are available but ignition parts are getting pricey.
Well he said it "needs a coil and wiring is a mess" so that ain't sounding good.

What is worst case if all the electrics are fried? How much work, how much in parts... thanks!

... i just picked up some bolens 12" weights for a buck a pound sounds like i did ok then. has numbers on the back, nothing on the front, probly just as well i put them on a jd and painted them yellow

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
The manual lift is not bad at all if you have the helper spring kit on the tractor too. I have a thrower on the front of a G12 with the lift assist and it is no problem to raise it one hand and I have bad shoulders.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If the coil is bad, you could get a stock one but I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161224630362?nav=SEARCH&rmvSB=true

It says it's NLA, but there's probably more out there. Works just fine, the only peeve of mine is it's so darn bulky. I ended up mounting it next to the battery, I don't seem to have a pic of it though.

I bought my 1254 non-running and once I got it running, it has been very reliable and man will it WORK! I love the TRA-12D, but I haven't had to do much with ignition. I would see if it's the coil, if so you shouldn't have much trouble bringing it back to life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts