Garden Tractor Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I was debating making the shaft out of either solid round stock or a pto style universal joint? The spline coming off the engine is larger in size, didn't count the splines yet, but I have short chunk off the mower drive deck from donor tractor that will fit the engine. Then if I get a new coupler like you posted for on the hydro - I just need to join them with something. I was thinking making the universal joint so if the engine was slightly miss aligned, that would help and hopefully it wouldn't rattle and chatter????

·
Registered
137 Posts
" universal joint so if the engine was slightly miss aligned, that would help"

Yeah that is not the best design, I think one thing that adds to the wear is just what you mentioned - a slight mis-alignment and would put added load on the shaft/couplers. A U-joint would solve that.... That 11 tooth spline is apparently not common.

·
Registered
49 Posts
U joints are not the easiest/best way to deal with misalignment because they themselves do not actually like to be misaligned. The input an output yokes need to be parallel, so they only deal with misalignments 'in plane' but just offset from each other. For a slight axial misalignment, if very small, i would use a chain coupler or even a lovejoy. But if you can get both ends of your shaft parallel and just offset in the middle then u joints will work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
"so they only deal with misalignments 'in plane' but just offset from each other."

I dont know if I follow that .... On this same tractor the mover deck is driven by a shaft with ujoint at the gear box that has to follow the up/down/sideways movements of the deck, so there is a ujoint at the gear box. Then you have the PTO shaft that has to have a wide range of movement, and therefore ujoints. Some of the steering shafts on vehicles have two joints and look like a piece of limp spaghetti.

My Wheel Horse that has a Sundstrand (prolly same one as the MF's) has a dense flexible rubber connecter from the flywheel to the Sundstrand to transfer power which works very well. Heh!, but has the same problem as the MF connex in that they have about gone to 'unobtainism' status, being made in the late 70s like our MFs.

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The pto style shafts on 99% of farm equipment is meant to be run at different angles for long periods of time. I can't think of too many instances on farm equipment that the pto drive shafts are running true all the time. I would think this pto/universal joint style set up would solve a lot of the problems of miss alignment vibrations and wear. My biggest issue is I will very likely need to have the two ends machined in order to accept the two different sizes of splined shafts. I know you used to be able to get splined universal joints - but I'm sure that I won't be lucky enough to find a 3/4" 11 spline one. I have rubber rag joints on my Cubs, they are decent, but they are only good for the very slightest misalignment I think. Otherwise they wear out way too easily.

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
Possibly find a used 3/4-11 spline if you know what machine/brand it was for.

·
Registered
137 Posts
" suppose, that could be an option??? "

Well, it could be, but based on my 3-4yrs here on the forum, dont get your hopes up. However, give it a try, I seem to recall on 2 occasions someone was parting out one - I lucked up and got a rare pulley, it was definitely used but serviceable. Which would be the case if you were to find one, it would be in 'used' condition but fit your needs. There is a forsale/wanted section else where on this site, go there and list what you are needing/wanting.

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok Massey guys, need some help. Has this lever assembly been moved or bent in the past? I can't move the shift lever to use all the slots? Was there limitations on a 1450 here?
Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mines been stuck in the next slot up since I got it --- I couldnt move it. During the time I was getting the ole gal back functioning - after sitting some ??? years - it ran very well, much faster than my WH's and would wade thru the grass with out breathing hard - so I just left it saying 'I need to ck into that some day" and that day still hasnt come around! So, I dont really know just what its function was/is.....

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Reason I ask - the 1650 I have in the shed, it will use all the notches - doesn't run into the frame? That's what makes me question if there was a limiter for the 1450's? But they continued to use the same stock parts for both models.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So, since your 1650 is moveable ---- could you give a description of what it does?
I kinda got the impression that it would limit the speed in the lower notches? As I mentioned I cant picture changing the way it functions in that one notch. Hard to imagine improving its performance....

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The 1650 isn't currently running. There is more notches, so not sure how much faster it goes. Was hoping some other Massey drivers would know. Guessing their version for road gear?

·
4,506 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Machine

You have an Eaton hydro there. the engine will need to be install with the front of the Kubota facing the hydro to get the proper rotation. not sure if it can be changed. Service manuals for both are in the manuals section.
The rotation on the sundstand units can be changed by rotating the charge pump 180 degrees.

·
4,506 Posts
The rotation of the eato 11 is changable
The input rotation of the Eaton M11 charge pump is CW for the MTD 990 as printed / embossed on the front cover. Since the majority of "other" brand uses of the Eaton M11 use the CCW rotation and are available I studied the various Eaton manuals.
I pulled a few pages from the Eaton 11 manual that seem to confirm that any M11 input pumps rotation maybe switched/reversed from CW to CCW with internal reversing of a few components.

Here are a few pages of the Eaton Manual. Notice the differences in the pump plate, with the "LETTER A" facing up or down to change pump input rotation. Took me a few minutes to see the difference in the pics.

The carrier/rolls is directional as well.
Here are the pages from the manual.
Organism Font Art Circle Parallel
Font Line Parallel Rectangle Diagram
Font Parallel Circle Document Monochrome

·
4,506 Posts
Yes sir Check the service manuals of the two.

Reactions: MountainHeritage

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes sir Check the service manuals of the two.
Thank you ducky.
Appreciate it.
In process currently of repositioning the rad and fan to the fly wheel end of the engine so it will be between block and grill instead of block and steering wheel like it was in the donar tractor. That way I can keep the CW rotation. Going to read manual though now that have that info and see how big of job is to reverse flow. That may now be the easiest! More reading 📚

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So the manual talks about which direction the "A" is to be facing. I am going with the markings on the front of mine is an A?
It talks about facing the charge pump or facing down towards the cover.
Mine seems to be facing the sky!
CCW is towards charge pump, CW is towards cover.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts