Garden Tractor Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
4,506 Posts
You have to take the charge pump off to see the Port (Inlet) Plate to find the "A" mark on it.
See the instruction I posted in my previous post.

Reactions: MountainHeritage

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Here is a dumb question - seen a video of a guy testing a hydro rear end in a junk yard with a cordless drill on the input shaft. Don't imagine that would work for me to prevent having to take off the charge pump cover. Was thinking if I pushed on the pedal in forward and seen which way the drill rotated to turn the wheels forward and do the same for reverse?
Guess I'm looking at the easiest way without having to tear anything else down and have to go looking for new seals/o-rings for it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
" cordless drill on the input shaft. "

I do that when I go into one - rebuild, new purchase, etc, to 'bleed' the system, ck for leaks etc. Although I found pretty quickly that when the pressure built up a cordless wouldnt handle it (at least the couple I have wouldnt) so I use a corded 1/2" . After a couple runs at finding something to drive it with I found an old worn 11/16" 12 point socket would grab enough of the shaft to spin it up. Try it!!

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I don't think the shaft cares what is turning it.

Don
LOL, I know it wouldn't be cranking it around - can't move that fast anymore.

I'm going to drop the oil out of it first I think - only because I have no idea how long its been in there or what is in it. Okay to use Case IH Hytran in these like I do in my cubs - it doesn't have to be something special from Agco? Hyd filter, is there a better name brand to get - likely going to Napa or Case IH, so I'm assuming Fleet Guard or Wix, something like that?

If I can get the 1/2" drill to spin it, I'm going to see what it will do.

There isn't any way of wrecking the seals by doing this?

this was one of the videos of it???
How to Test a Hydrostatic Transaxle - YouTube

·
4,506 Posts
I just checked my tractor and ALL Massey and Snapper (50 and 55) series and the MF 14 and 16 hydro turn CCW at the input shaft veiwed from the front of the tractor. It would be CW if viewed from the back of the tractor. This goes for both Eaton 11s and Sundstrand 15s hydros.
If your an old farm boy think of it as the same direction a forage blower turns.

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
I just checked my tractor and ALL Massey and Snapper (50 and 55) series and the MF 14 and 16 hydro turn CCW at the input shaft veiwed from the front of the tractor. It would be CW if viewed from the back of the tractor. This goes for both Eaton 11s and Sundstrand 15s hydros.
If your an old farm boy think of it as the same direction a forage blower turns.
Think I posted that earlier (post #3). LOL

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
No problem. You just expanded on that!

·
4,506 Posts
I use Case/IH Hytran as well. It is as close to Zinc free as you can get to save those yellow metal parts in the Sundtrand hydros. I used to recommend JD Hygard but found it is quit high in Zinc.

Yes the Eaton and the Sundstrand use the same filter.

The wix 51410 is a 21 micron rating. I beleive it is better to use a 10 micron to remove smaller particles.

Here is some info on filter crosses I post before.

"I did some checking and Fleetguard has MicroGlass filter.
The HF 6446 has the same dimension with a 10 micron rating while maintaining the the 7-9 GPM flow rate.
John Deere uses it on there 2243 Greens mower
The HF 6096 is a 21 micron rating @ 7-9 GPM.
The HF 6446 crosses to Wix # 57102 and the Baldiwin # is BT 8301. These are 10 micron
10 micro will do a much better job IMHO."

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I ended up finding a filter at NAPA yesterday. They crossed the Massey number (1043369M1) to one of their numbers (1410) which is a Wixx filter with NAPA written on side. Its only 20 mic, but it will have to do for now until I get things going and get all quirks worked out of things. Then I may go to Massey and get the original filter with 10 mic rating. Going to drain it today hopefully if I can get the garage warmed up enough (-32C here this morning) and try to get the old filter off. Doesn't look like its been changed in a while. Fingers crossed things work out good? Oh, then I get the lovely job of filling it through that dorky fill tube letting it burp every 25 seconds. My luck I'll have Hytrans everywhere before job is done. At least things won't rust on the OUTSIDE!

·
4,506 Posts
I ended up finding a filter at NAPA yesterday. They crossed the Massey number (1043369M1) to one of their numbers (1410) which is a Wixx filter with NAPA written on side. Its only 20 mic, but it will have to do for now until I get things going and get all quirks worked out of things. Then I may go to Massey and get the original filter with 10 mic rating. Going to drain it today hopefully if I can get the garage warmed up enough (-32C here this morning) and try to get the old filter off. Doesn't look like its been changed in a while. Fingers crossed things work out good? Oh, then I get the lovely job of filling it through that dorky fill tube letting it burp every 25 seconds. My luck I'll have Hytrans everywhere before job is done. At least things won't rust on the OUTSIDE!
The massey filter is also has a 21 micro rating. You will have to use Fleetgard 6446, Wix # 57102 or the Baldiwin # is BT 8301to get a filter with the 10 micron rating. The NAPA # would be 7102.
To fill cut the bottom off a 1 Qt 80/90 container and use it as a funnel with the pointy cap end. This will fit snugly into the filler tube and it will burp back into your funnel. EZ Peezy.

Reactions: Mark 149 J.

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Drained the oil out of rear end this morning, that was thick black at first then you could see the Hytran come out. Plug is the one with the magnet in it, it had grey sludge type stuff all over it. Not sure if someone put some sort of sealer around it before re-installing??? OR is it just been a long time since oil has been changed and this crap is collecting in the bottom? The old filter - yeah I destroyed it trying to loosen - in the end, I won! It had Hytran in it, fairly clean too. Had to take the RH tire off to get enough of a grip/pull to move filter. Left the drain plug and filter off to let what ever drain out that I can.
Discovered a little tag riveted on the side of the housing. Its a Peerless transmission in it. Mod 2524. Guessing serial # 7315 4445? So I guess I don't have an Eaton in it as suggested before. Will have to look for a manual on the Peerless one now.
Have to replace the axle seal on the LH side too I see - its seeping pretty good now. Well, with Hytran it seems like a teaspoon becomes a cup the way that stuff spreads. No need of re-filling trans with new oil if its gonna leak all over the floor. Guess I need to make a trip to Massey dealer after all.
One thing I found odd, when I jack up the rear and spin the tires - the brake disc doesn't turn? No matter if I have it in gear or not. That normal that it won't free wheel - does it only turn when the tractor is running and hydro is pumping oil? It does turn, its not seized.
Got to looking at my control levers on the fender - will need to rob them off the other tractor (1650) I have in shed as I see someone broke the bolts off in the body of the spool. That will be a job to remove someday down the road.
Looking more and more like I'm going to bring the 1650 into the heat and start using more parts from it to get this loader tractor together. Was hoping to not rob much off it if possible so I'd have a fairly complete tractor one day to fix up. This project is turning into a 3 tractors to make one it seems. Oh well, I have LOTS of things to do this winter on this project, won't run outta jobs.

PartsList(s) (gardentractortalk.com)

Just looking at the posting Kenny put in the manual section - the oil seal comes from Massey or Peerless?? I was surprised to see the rear axles in the pictures thats why I am asking. Or is this from the Massey manual itself?

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
It's a Peerless transazle with an Eaton hydro it sounds like. You'll love the Peerless, limited slip action. Do you have the transaxle in Neutral? Should have a HI/N/LO shifter.

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts
On the axle seal, I just google the seal # and see who I can get it from. I'd do both if possible. Did the RH on my FF/20, now the LH is leaking. :mad: Hard to get the hub off those axles as they are aluminum.

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
It's a Peerless transazle with an Eaton hydro it sounds like. You'll love the Peerless, limited slip action. Do you have the transaxle in Neutral? Should have a HI/N/LO shifter.
Correct, it has a Hi/N/Lo shifter - both Massey's I have here have that feature. Very nice I think. Any ideas about the brake disc not turning currently - I'm hoping its because it needs the hydro running and I'm not missing something inside.
I just assumed the entire thing was either Eaton or Peerless. DUH on my part!
Did some more searching, seems the Massey # is NLA according to web? I found this in a search:
Looking for a Peerless 2500 Axle Seal Cross Reference? (788049) | Tractor Fanatics
And I found the one seal on Amazon for a reasonable price. That was using the SKF # from the posting. Think I'll try and order 2 of these with the hopes I don't have some odd sized axle or something and these sizes are no good!???
SKF 11372 LDS & Small Bore Seal, R Lip Code, CRW1 Style, Inch, 1.125" Shaft Diameter, 2.125" Bore Diameter, 0.313" Width : Amazon.ca: Automotive
Any of you Massey guys know if this is the correct dimensions for this seal?

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
On the axle seal, I just google the seal # and see who I can get it from. I'd do both if possible. Did the RH on my FF/20, now the LH is leaking. :mad: Hard to get the hub off those axles as they are aluminum.
So the HUBS are aluminum? Really? o_O

·
Super Moderator
54,826 Posts

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
ON the FF! Don't know what's on a Massey.
Ahhhh... ok. I was beginning to wonder about my metal identification skills. They seem to be cast same as the axles, at least to me they seem like it.
Found another thread on another forum that you belong to Kenny...at least I think its you. Guy has a 1450 thats in ROUGH shape, doing a total rebuild on a lot of things. 25+ pages long. Good reading!

·
Registered
982 Cub Cadet
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Correct, it has a Hi/N/Lo shifter - both Massey's I have here have that feature. Very nice I think. Any ideas about the brake disc not turning currently - I'm hoping its because it needs the hydro running and I'm not missing something inside.
I just assumed the entire thing was either Eaton or Peerless. DUH on my part!
Did some more searching, seems the Massey # is NLA according to web? I found this in a search:
Looking for a Peerless 2500 Axle Seal Cross Reference? (788049) | Tractor Fanatics
And I found the one seal on Amazon for a reasonable price. That was using the SKF # from the posting. Think I'll try and order 2 of these with the hopes I don't have some odd sized axle or something and these sizes are no good!???
SKF 11372 LDS & Small Bore Seal, R Lip Code, CRW1 Style, Inch, 1.125" Shaft Diameter, 2.125" Bore Diameter, 0.313" Width : Amazon.ca: Automotive
Any of you Massey guys know if this is the correct dimensions for this seal?
Called Massey Dealership yesterday to price seal - figured they would say NLA - no, they said it was available, part num 842569M1, $35.96 Cdn. This seem like the right part number for this Peerless set up?
Checked with IH and the seal #'s I gave him as cross #'s (SKF 11372, Nat 471060, Peerless 788049), they could only cross them back to a 1/4" seal face. Seems the Massey # is a 7/16" face, more specific seal they found and suggested to stick with OEM design. I kinda agree with them.
Thoughts??

41 - 60 of 70 Posts