Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed my bolens 1556 started leaking very bad in the rear end.. The center section .I guess first to try is tightening the bolts..Are those just a 12 point 7/16 type head.. ?? or are they some kind of star head that I need a special socket for..

Funny thing is I plowed snow with it all winter,,and the 2nd time I mowed with it the leak started..I hope I don't have to split the rear apart just for the gasket... Any thoughts ..????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it hydraulic fluid, or gear lube?

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
Leaks come from moving parts. That includes loose parts and parts that are supposed to move.

If it happened suddenly, I'd check to see if a line to a hydraulic cylinder or maybe even your oil filter is loose. Simply things are always the best things.

Otherwise, I would suspect a seal is blow out.

If Eaton used what they use now, a heavy cardstock paper for gaskets, they shouldn't pop out unless a bolt is loose. The weakest point in the system is a shaft seal assuming the relief failed and built up pressure.

Ben W.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it's hydraulic fluid another thing to consider is the state of the venting on your hydraulic fluid tank. (attached to underside of the seat pan) Bolens punched a tiny hole in the top of this fuid tank, and it acts like an expansion tank on a cooling system. (looks like a sharp dent) As spring changed to summer this year, I thought I had a leak also. Turns out, air couldn't escape the system and as the fluid tried to expand with the warmer weather, it was being forced out where the tank line attached to the hydro package. (pools of fluid would form) I used a sharp pointed tool to open the vent hole a little and have no trouble since.

Reactions: sodisr

·
1,204 Posts
They are just 12 point bolts nothing special. I've had mine apart in the past. If there is a drip in the very center at the output shaft there is either a bad seal or the aluminum housing boss has worn to the point where it can't be fixed.There is a square boss inside the cover with a bore in it where the shaft goes through. I had one wear out and had to swap out the cover.

Reactions: sodisr

·
1,204 Posts
Just to be sure, the hydrostatic runs on hydraulic fluid. On the 1556 there is a little reserve tank in front of the seat. It should have hydraulic fluid in it not 90w.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts