Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening guys.So I went to move some snow with this 1650 I bought in the fall.turn the key and nothing. So I went and got the booster pack thinking the battery went bad. Hook it up,and still nothing. So I got off and started wiggling things to see if something wasn't making contact. That's when I heard the circuit breaker clicking. So I changed that and still nothing. The electric clutch engages lights work,and the amp gauge goes to -10 when you turn the key to start. What am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
A safety switch some where, or pto turned on. Never that style tractor. Only guesses. Noel

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked all the safeties and pto's. It did happen to try once.starter kicked in long enough to catch ring gear then nothing.

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Noel and Daniel. I will have to dig a little deeper in the morning

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
Clean batt cables at both terms and ends. Try loosening some and wiggle wire as you try to start, see if it kicks in. Make sure the cables aren't rubbing somewhere and giving a close ground that won't blow a fuse, yet acts up. The bigger usually red 10gauge wires sometimes do that. They go to starter selinoids and ammeters and key switch. Wiggle terms all over and maybe pull off if easy and see if corroded.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Having a bad engine to ground connection can cause all of that too. I had this happen on my last tractor rebuild. A voltmeter will be your best friend. Check for voltage at the various points in the starter circuit. Keyswitch, solenoid, starter, ground

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turns out that it was the starter hanging up in the ring gear and also the safety switch for Park.Thanks guys.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My 1855A did that to me once, turned it off to get something out of the barn came back and nothing. Everything checked ok, starter was locked up.

Reactions: limebuzz

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Kmac1 changed the starter and bypassed the switch for now. She good as new again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts