Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tractorholic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of the hood hinge on the 1655/1855? The PO replaced the original Onan with a Onan Performer 24, to access the engine compartment you have to lift the hood off (due to the FEL). Would an original hinge work with this motor?

Thanks for any help

Matt

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I don't have any pictures right now but there isn't a real hinge on them. It is two tabs that fit in to slots on the front of the frame that allow the hood to tilt and be removed fairly easily.

Depending on the front end loader, you should be able to tilt the hood enough to access the engine to some extent. I can get pics of mine with the Johnson loader when the weather clears up.

·
Tractorholic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks George, It gets to be a real pain lifting the hood on and off to check the oil. The loader that's on it shows Sears And Roebuck. It looks an awful like a Johnson Loader.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I know what ya mean. Does yours have any sort of hinge or tabs on it now?

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
All the Sears I ever seen with a factory installed loader were "Kwik Way" loaders, but doesn't mean they all were. Yep, the hoods on the 1650 thru 1855 are a pain with loaders mounted. With my bucket as low as it can go, I can barely get my hood on & off, and that's with my tabs cut off 1/2 way too.

·
Tractorholic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not that I can see. It looks like some one bolted a piece of angle iron on the front of the frame with two bolts. I wonder if it's covering the slots you advised of.

·
Tractorholic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
olcowhand said:
All the Sears I ever seen with a factory installed loader were "Kwik Way" loaders, but doesn't mean they all were. Yep, the hoods on the 1650 thru 1855 are a pain with loaders mounted. With my bucket as low as it can go, I can barely get my hood on & off, and that's with my tabs cut off 1/2 way too.
Daniel, I'll snap a couple of picks it, it very well could be a Kwik Way. I have to fab something up. I remember reading something you posted about the Onan 24 being to wide.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
If you have the hood off, you should be able to see the slots front the inside of the frame also. We are getting hammered with the weather now or I would go out and get some pics right now of it. I don't know what tomorrow will bring weather wise but if I have enough room out in the garage to get the hood off of mine I will and get some pics.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Orangeman05 said:
Daniel, I'll snap a couple of picks it, it very well could be a Kwik Way. I have to fab something up. I remember reading something you posted about the Onan 24 being to wide.
I forgot you have an Onan 24. I am sure it is a good sized engined. Mine has a 20hp in it but I don't think it is much bigger then the 16 or 18.

·
Tractorholic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
George when you get time, I know the eastern seaboard getting pounded. I'll take a trip out to the garage for a quick peek.

·
32,409 Posts
Thye pic appears to show the loader has self leveling arms, that keep the bucket level going up or down. That would indicate it is a Kwik Way loader. I assume the angle iron bolted to the front is for the grill to rest on? Even if you could shorten tabs for the grill, likely it wouldn't tilt far enough to access the engine for the hood hitting the loader cross brace. You could do as I did, and cut out the flare from the side of the hood. That allows me easier access to my oil dipstick. I'll try to remember to take a pic or 2 for you & post tomorrow.

·
Tractorholic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for your help. I do think that was the idea for the angle iron, doesn't work to well though! I'm sure with your guys help I'll come up with something.

·
32,409 Posts
Orangeman.....sorry, I got so involved in my D4-10 tractor today that I didn't get those pics of my 1855 hood for you. I will do my darndest to post some tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
It ended up being nice out last night and I forgot. I will get a pic tonight as well. That way you can see the stock ones and the trimmed ones like Daniel has.

·
32,409 Posts
I figured I'd better go snap the pics before I start trimming cow's hooves, so here ya go. I previously said how I could check my oil with the hood down with the hood sides partially removed, but that was with my original engine with slanted dipstick tube (I forget stuff a lot lol). With this newer B48G, I have to tilt the hood, but easy to do without removing the hood. You can see the hinge tabs, and they also have a brace structure to strengthen the grill. You could brace it around the perimeter lots easier if needed. How far forward your hood will tilt depends on where your loader arm's cross brace is located. My loader I built from scratch. Removing the flared sides does 2 things....1: makes easier access 2: engine runs a bit cooler
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Daniel! I definitely see my hood is missing the brace and tabs. The tab trimming might be a necessity, it looks like the right side of the engine catches on tab.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I figured I would go out and get some pics of mine to see what the differences are. I believe my hood tabs are still stock length. I can get to the majority of the motor with the hood tilted so I don't know what the differences are between all three loaders other then the cross brace being at different heights.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank You George! Picture 5 was exactly what I needed. I didn't quite understand what you and Daniel were saying about the loader bar, Picture 3 shows it perfectly! I missed out on a hood listed on ebay, but it looks like the tabs and frame are easy to fabricate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts