Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have gathered all the parts and scrap I need to make a dozer blade for my 1855. I cant find the installation manual that would show me where everything is supposed to hook up to. I did find a few pics of the factory blades but I cant see how and where it fits up with the tractor. Anybody got pics?
 

·
Getting Out!
Joined
·
8,205 Posts
Not sure here, but on other massey's the blade reaches back to the hitch hole on back panel. Is a 4" or so channel all the way to the front. In front is only a couple of metal guides that mount to front and hold the channel from moving sideways. Don't think there is any more connection except for the lift linkages on each side near where your rockshaft would be. Should be some blade manuals on this site I think, do a search. Mine was for a 1650, a little smaller, but think yours should be about same.
 

·
Accumulator
Joined
·
13,481 Posts
The rear of the assembly attaches to the trailer hitch hole at the back of the tractor.It also hooks up to the mower deck lift arms.
 
  • Like
Reactions: coldone

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,616 Posts
My home made blade and snowblower could be mounted to my 1655 in a matter of minutes.No bolts were required,just put in 4 pins.I made some brackets that were bolted to the tractors frame just in front of the mower decks front mount brackets,that dropped down a bit ,not to far so that they didn't interfere with the mower deck.My blade and snowblower frame had a step down in them to clear the front axle when it would pivot etc:The lift was connected to the mower lift arms under the tractor.Here's pics of how things were done on mine,hopefully it'll give you some ideasThe frame thats shown was the one for the snowblower.Larry
 

Attachments

·
New Member
Joined
·
74 Posts
Just an idea. Have you given thought of attaching it to the 3 pt. hitch assembly? Push or pull. Maybe not as veristile. But it works okay, for me.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
507 Posts
Just an idea. Have you given thought of attaching it to the 3 pt. hitch assembly? Push or pull. Maybe not as veristile. But it works okay, for me.
A valid method. This series of tractor is large, heavy, and powerful, when properly set up, and breaking the axle lugs is easily within their capabilities when impacting an imovable object with a push blade so anchored. Much better to use the axle trumpet at the same location as the pivot, than the lugs.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
54,003 Posts
A valid method. This series of tractor is large, heavy, and powerful, when properly set up, and breaking the axle lugs is easily within their capabilities when impacting an imovable object with a push blade so anchored. Much better to use the axle trumpet at the same location as the pivot, than the lugs.
Good point, TUDOR. The blade on my FF goes to those lugs on the rear axle. A neat looking way of doing it, but I can see the possibility of them getting broken that way. I am going to look into a different option on it. Plus, I may be able to get more lift that way.
 

·
Tractorholic
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a small update.

I have learned a few things so far

1: 6 feet worth of 3 inch channel is not long enough, you need 7 at least

2: "If at first you dont suceed, then try, try again" is more of a mantra than a saying

3: 3 inch channel is not enough to raise the front of the tractor off the ground without severly bowing

I started off with the idea of making something looking like the factory one. I scround up 6 ft worth of 3 inch channel, I soon found out I needed 7. So I welded on some square tubing I had to give me the length I needed. I tried a attachment configuration with the mid lift. It had angle iron and uprights to attach to the mid lift, forgot about the lift arms traveling in an arch. It bound up. So I cut that off and tried flipping it with the angle iron cross piece at the top attached to the lift arms and a single piece of 2X 3/8 hanging down and being able to swivel. That worked good except the angle iron at the top now bumps into the drive shaft, it made sparks!!!

So I still managed to get it hooked up and gave it a test run. I placed a small 6X6 piece of lumber under the front part of the channel where the blade will attach. I pushed the hyd. lever forward and she barely got the wait off the front tires. I looked at it from the side and saw that the channel was bowed about 2-3 inches. I decided to call it a day.

I will probably reinforce the channel where its bowing at to see if I can stiffen it up. My goal is to be able to lift the front end an inch or 2 off the ground so that I can get some real bite with the blade.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top