Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some on here have done loader builds, I would appreciate if someone could tell me what size cylinders they used and if one cylinder to roll the bucket is enough. I see Kubota uses one bucket cylinder on their sub-compacts. Thanks.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, where would I find the splined coupler to go on these PTO shafts to adapt to the hydraulic pump?

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
I can't remember what the thread title is, but Member Olcowhand did a great job (as he always does) on his build and would be a good person to answer those questions. i'm sure when he see's the title of this thread he'll be along LOL.

·
Ron Paul
1,009 Posts
2" bore cylinders

1 curl cylinder is enough. Just will need to have enough leverage. Not hard to do a google for some ideas

·
4,476 Posts
An 1.5" double acting lift cylinder will lift all the tractor can handle @ 1500-2000 PSI. I have a Johnson loader on my 1655 and it runs of the hyro charge pump. I do not recommend this as the hydro pump is a bit low on flow and PSI for a loader. You will probably be wanting to use the charge pump to run your "power steering" any way. Use an aux pump with about 8 GPM and you will like the way the loader preforms.

olecowhand has some more info on this first hand and I will bow to him.
He should be around shortly.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alot of great information guys, the case spec sheet is very useful,thanks mikebramel. The measurements off the loader would be a big help if it's not too much trouble. Can't wait to get started on this project, I already have a few projects around the yard for it to do.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
These diagrams presented are great info for your build. I will say that I started out with a single bucket tilt cylinder, a 2"x16", and it wasn't enough strength for what I do with matted straw calf bedding. I changed mine to twin 2x16 tilt cylinders & is a great improvement. My lift cylinders are 2 1/2" bore, but 2" are plenty.

·
4,476 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again guys you are very helpful, looks like 16" stroke cylinders are enough, for some reason I was thinking I would need 24". The 16 inchers are cheaper so thats good! Wanted to get all the parts bought while I still have the money from selling a tractor, before someone else decides the money should be spent other ways. LOL.

·
Tractorholic
8,365 Posts
Since you don't have anything bought yet , on my PK loader it has 2" bucket cyl's and there fine using just the bucket but I made a set of clamp-on forks and it doesn't have enough power at times when you want to "roll back" the forks when your trying to keep a level lift , maybe 2 1/2" would be enough , , just a thought Al

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Never built a loader, not a hydraulic guru. However, everthing is about leverage and power. If you want to keep a single cylinder, use the longer stroke and attach your cylinder so it runs the full stroke. Big difference between 1000 lbs with a 16 inch lever and 1000 lbs with an 24 inch lever. I think I've seen manufactured loaders with single bucket cylinders. I also remember someone had a front loader with only one side support and a single lift cylinder somewhere on the web. Lots of twisting torque on that combo.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Olcowhand, I was looking at the sideview of your tractor and it looks like the lift cylinders are a bit longer than the curl cylinders. I was doing some measuring and it doesn't look like the 16" stroke would be enough for this tractor (for the lift cylinders). Can you tell me what the stroke on your lift cylinders are. Thanks.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Enginerod said:
Olcowhand, I was looking at the sideview of your tractor and it looks like the lift cylinders are a bit longer than the curl cylinders. I was doing some measuring and it doesn't look like the 16" stroke would be enough for this tractor (for the lift cylinders). Can you tell me what the stroke on your lift cylinders are. Thanks.
I cut these down from roll hay baler dump cylinders to fit the geometry of my loader. I'll have to take a measurement tomorrow, as I can't remember their stroke off the top of my head. Got a real busy day tomorrow, so I'll try to remember.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts