Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just purchased an 1885 Snapper tractor with mowing deck and three implements, My question is, after purchasing I started wondering if I could get replacement parts. Can I? It runs and mows great. The only thing that has been altered is you have to engage the blades manually (electrical doesn't work). Seems to be all original. I'll know more about how it works in my small in a few days. I attached a pic. Thanks for any input or advice. Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Some parts are NLA, but many still available. Engine parts can still be had through Cummins. Parts such as drive shaft couplers are NLA from the dealer, but can still be bought from Surplus Center, and just need a hole drilled in their center. The main thing that is NLA is the deck pulleys & belts. One of our members here reworked his deck to use standard V-belts. You can read about it HERE.

There is always a "work around" way to deal with any NLA part, so don't worry, where's there's a will, there is a way. I have a MF1655 I converted to diesel. Great tractors!

·
Registered
10,120 Posts
Welcome to GTT. That is a great tractor you have, I have a 1600. You can download three free manuals from out Manuals Section per day. Good Luck, Rick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any common problems with this model and other than routine maintenance is there any preventive maintenance that anyone would recommend.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Hello Pudycatz and welcome to GTT. Congratulations on your purchase! I've been eyeing it for a week or two, but my tractor fund is empty. I'm curious, I think it was listed at 1800, would you mind sharing what you paid for it?

You ask about preventive maintenance, I've heard the Onans can be very picky about having the oil changed, and about being full of oil.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Welcome and nice find. I know nothing about the engines but otherwise these things are built like tanks. Also, if I can work on them most anyone can. This site is your answer to keeping these old ones running strong as there is an immense amount of mechanical knowledge here (others not me). :wave:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hello Pudycatz and welcome to GTT. Congratulations on your purchase! I've been eyeing it for a week or two, but my tractor fund is empty. I'm curious, I think it was listed at 1800, would you mind sharing what you paid for it?

You ask about preventive maintenance, I've heard the Onans can be very picky about having the oil changed, and about being full of oil.
Ok, can you tell us what they were originally asking for it?

·
Tractorholic
399 Posts
I agree, with all your attachments and the condition of your tractor/mower looking at that picture you post I'd say you got a good deal for what you paid! Luke

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After 2 days of honeymoon with my tractor It is performing like the ones I've read about here. Mows great, (however one of the belts is too loose and keeps coming off) plows up the earth with ease. It does have an oil drip. I guess at her age shes allowed. Gonna try to find what is the cause. Overall I'm please but still. I'm in the honeymoon stage.

Can someone tell me why some have commented the mower decks aren't good.

·
Tractorholic
399 Posts
Glad to see you've had the opportunity to play with your new toy a little! Kinda think you have answered your own question......you said it plows into the ground easy which was a common problem, snapper/Massey should have put a set of swivel caster gauge wheels on the outside front of deck to help that problem. Next your fighting your belt coming off......the belts can still be bought from any Massey dealer but you pulleys are NLA. With that cogged belt/pulley system you have to have the blades timed so the dont hit one another, that's fine til you find something solid hiding in your grass and hit it......will throw the whole deck off and have to be all re-timed again! That's why no one likes these decks! Very poor design!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh no, I took mower deck off, removed the blades and sharpened them. I came in for lunch only to your post about mowing deck must be timed. Are there any instructions on this forum for timed decks? I did put blades back on and spaced them so they wouldn't meet each other. I'll wait for a reply before I hook deck back up

Glad to see you've had the opportunity to play with your new toy a little! Kinda think you have answered your own question......you said it plows into the ground easy which was a common problem, snapper/Massey should have put a set of swivel caster gauge wheels on the outside front of deck to help that problem. Next your fighting your belt coming off......the belts can still be bought from any Massey dealer but you pulleys are NLA. With that cogged belt/pulley system you have to have the blades timed so the dont hit one another, that's fine til you find something solid hiding in your grass and hit it......will throw the whole deck off and have to be all re-timed again! That's why no one likes these decks! Very poor design!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts