Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texas Deere and Horse(Brian) came to LA and picked up my wife's homemade tractor this afternoon.

He will take it home and bring it to CT when he comes for some tractors in RI. He will post some pictures later this evening when he gets home.

We had a nice talk as we hurried to load his truck and trailer with a lot of stuff. Brian is a very nice guy and that seems typical of our members.

The tractor is going to have an interesting trip after staying on the same property for 51 years. When it gets to our home I'll try to resuscitate it. Good Luck, Rick

·
Always learning something!
1,284 Posts
Texas Deere and Horse(Brian) came to LA and picked up my wife's homemade tractor this afternoon.

He will take it home and bring it to CT when he comes for some tractors in RI. He will post some pictures later this evening when he gets home.

We had a nice talk as we hurried to load his truck and trailer with a lot of stuff. Brian is a very nice guy and that seems typical of our members.

The tractor is going to have an interesting trip after staying on the same property for 51 years. When it gets to our home I'll try to resuscitate it. Good Luck, Rick
Rick, can you give us a bit more about the back story to this post. It sounds interesting and I second the cry for pics.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Brian will post some when he can. I had posted a month ago, when we got to Louisiana that my wife's tractor somehow needed to get home to Connecticut. Brian volunteered to pick it up and bring it to CT when he comes up to get 4 tractors he has in RI. The tractor is sentimental to my wife because my FIL built it for her 51 years ago when she was about 11. There is a thread describing it. Good Luck Guys, Rick

Here's the thread:http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/23617-1962-homemade-4-cylinder-tractor/

·
Super Moderator
54,601 Posts
Glad to hear you are going to get it home, Rick! Kudos to TD&H (Brian) for hauling it for you!

Reactions: boyscout862

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
I will post some photos in a few, downloading now.

Rick, it was a real pleasure getting to meet you and your wife.
Then you'll be driving instead of flying up there Brian. Taking a whopper trailer for your return trip back home?

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
I'm going to do 2 trip over the summer. First one will be up to Ct. and RI and down past George's and pick up some of the stuff there to fill the trailer, coming back by your place. Then later the same month while in N.C., I'll go back up to George's and get the rest, hopefully during the Dover show.

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts

Attachments

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
The v-belt running through the mule pulleys....what does that drive? Very cool tractor, and great that you're keeping it in the family boyscout! :thumbs:

Brian will take good care of it during the delivery process for sure. You're in good hands with TD&H! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
Daniel, That is the clutch and drive for the mower deck. Rick told me that the tractor has a "3 on the tree" as we used to say, 3 sp. manual with column shifter and also a hydro unit. I will look it over more to see if I can get better photos of that setup. It is a very neat looking tractor for sure.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My FIL had a photographic memory. He could skim a book and he then knew it cover to cover. While on Guadal Canal when the US fleet was run off, he was able to salvage and jury rig an ice plant. They were starving but with the ice they were able to make up frozen custard. For some reason they had cases of instant frozen custard mix. They also hunted and fished while being sniped at by Japs.

He worked for Waukesha in the early 50s. He was the maintenance manager for Fred Wilsons Oil Drlling Company from 56 until he was crippled by heart attacks in the late 60s. He was #60 of the heart bypass surgeries and like most at that time survived 5 years after the surgery.

What I know about the tractor comes from my wife and the neighbor Stephen. Its been 34 years since I was last down here in LA. It ran and mowed at that time. My BIL lived here and used it until he killed it. There used to be a set of Waukesha manuals in the utility room but I was not able to find them.

We will see how hard it is to get going. I believe it is going to take a lot of research to identify the various parts and get them working.When Brian delivers it, I'll drop the oil pan to see the crank and rods. Then go from there.

Any information on these little Waukesha 4 cylinder engines will be gratefully appreciated. Stephen thought that they are 20 hp.

Good Luck, Rick

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I braved the attic today and was rewarded with a bunch of Waukesha parts including sheet metal and a crankcase. There are no intermediate main bearings, only a ball bearing at each end. There was no crank. The case with cam only weighs about 25 pounds. There is a data plate on it to get the model and series.

The trailer is packed and we hope to be on our way tomorrow morning. Hopefully we will be running up I81 in the Shenandoah Valley by Wednesday. We will stop at Smilley's Barbecue again and get a pound to go.

When we get home first priority will be to see our son graduate from Three Rivers Tech next Saturday. Then back to projects. Good Luck, Rick

·
Super Moderator
54,601 Posts
Have a safe trip home, Rick! Glad you found some more goodies hiding away!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.