Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Serial # 1446 005183
This is my new to me MF10, I am in the process of restoring it best I can.
I bought this one unseen for parts, when I went to pick it up saw some different features, mainly the aluminum dash decided to fix it up. The more I got into it and researched it the more I wanted to restore it. Had a long stack on it and came with a parts tractor in boxes missing wheels and all the tin.

Attachments

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This tractor has some unique features typical of the 66 MF10s.
Starter/generator
Aluminum dash
Sticker for serial #
Narrow front and rear tires
Cast iron steering arm
Amp gauge with pointy 0s
Rear frame plate has no holes for tiller spring bracket
Fender guards with rubber molding (missing on mine)
These are the differences I've noticed so far.

Some of these features are on 67 MF10s + 12s

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
805 Posts
The narrow wheel option is not common to the 66. I have seen a number of 66 MF-10's, but I have only seen 3 with the narrow wheel option. Mine, yours, and one other.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Was the narrow wheel option a customer option that was only available during the 65 - 67 years maybe?

Doug it is definitely a good candidate for restoration :D

·
Tractorholic
805 Posts
NUTNDUN said:
Was the narrow wheel option a customer option that was only available during the 65 - 67 years maybe?
I'm not sure exactly what the story is on the narrow wheels? It shows up as an option in the early literature. I have only seen them on the 1966 models, which is the first year of production for the MF10.

I guess it was a rare factory option, I'm not sure if a customer could order it that way, or whether dealer had a choice, or what?

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doug it is definitely a good candidate for restoration :D[/QUOTE]

Yes it is and I have been working on it. Here's some disassemble pic.

Attachments

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had a nice day today sunny and +4 +5 (40 F). Today I got some stuff done on my 66MF10, while I was cleaning up I noticed another unique feature of this tractor. My parts tractor has an extra piece in the frame, I checked my other tractors and they all have it too. In the pic it's the rib in the middle under the rear part of the engine where the frame bends up. Only my 66 does not have this, my 67MF12 has it and all my others.
Anybody with a 66 take a look at yours let me know what you find.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
805 Posts
DH1 said:
Here's some pictures of parts painted so far.
Wow, you are making quick work of it. How did you prep the metal before painting. The gray looks alittle dark, what paint are you using?

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish I was that fast.
The tractor was dissembled before today as were some of the pieces painted earlier, today I took pic, cleaned up some more parts, painted the frame and some other parts. The paint I'm using is "Tremclad Hammered charcoal gray" it's the closest match I found, a touch darker but everything else I tried was way to light. This paint has a bit of a texture to it, hides lots of imperfections, goes on thick, covers in 2 coats, a little bit goes a long way. The foot rest only have 1 coat on them, I ran out of paint there.
The silver is Tremclad Aluminum. The black is Tremclad flat black. When I do the red I use my spray gun and the proper paint.

What colour is the steering column above the dash suppose to be, black?

Attachments

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Prepping the metal I use 6" bench grinder with wire wheel on it + 4 1/2" angle grinder with 2 different knotted wire wheels. Clean it up with varsol, and then paint.

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Ahh, those pictures look so familiar! When I get a chance and some snow melts I'll look under my '66. I sure don't remember there being a center rib when I had her stripped down. I carefully peeled the serial number sticker off mine before prepping it and damned if I can find that thing. It's really bugging me. I'm glad I took a picture before I pulled it off.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi jdslednut I've seen your pic of your 66 that's nice if mine looks 1/2 as good as yours I'll be happy. Does yours have the aluminum nose ring?

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Yes it does. It came in pieces under the seat but it was all there. I'm guessing it got rammed pretty hard and bent/broke the bottom. I was afraid of breaking it more if I tried to bend it back so I used JB Weld to replace the broken piece. The bottom has a slight curve to it but you wouldn't know if I didn't point it out. Good luck on the rest of your restoration! If I can be of any help please let me know. I'm not a Massey expert but I did have this one apart down to the bolt (minus the tranny).

·
Tractorholic
805 Posts
jdslednut said:
Yes it does. It came in pieces under the seat but it was all there. I'm guessing it got rammed pretty hard and bent/broke the bottom. I was afraid of breaking it more if I tried to bend it back so I used JB Weld to replace the broken piece. The bottom has a slight curve to it but you wouldn't know if I didn't point it out. Good luck on the rest of your restoration! If I can be of any help please let me know. I'm not a Massey expert but I did have this one apart down to the bolt (minus the tranny).
Do you remember the serial number of yours? Does it have the narrow or wide wheels/tires? Let see some pics.....

·
Tractorholic
938 Posts
Serial number is 3924 with wide wheels/tires. I will post some more pics of the restoration when I get to a computer with a faster connection. Dial-up just isn't cutting it with uploading. I have a deck and blower also but haven't got around to restoring them as of yet.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
tweidman said:
It looks like you had issues with you steering wheel ???
Yes I buggered it up. Tried everything I could think of to get the steering wheel off, when I mushroomed over the center shaft I got out the hack saw and cut it off. My parts tractor came with a good column so all I'm short of is a steering wheel and center cap.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jdslednut said:
Serial number is 3924 with wide wheels/tires. I will post some more pics of the restoration when I get to a computer with a faster connection. Dial-up just isn't cutting it with uploading. I have a deck and blower also but haven't got around to restoring them as of yet.
I know what you mean about dial-up I got rid of mine late last year what a difference.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
DH1 said:
Yes I buggered it up. Tried everything I could think of to get the steering wheel off, when I mushroomed over the center shaft I got out the hack saw and cut it off. My parts tractor came with a good column so all I'm short of is a steering wheel and center cap.
The steering column on my 12 was shot and I had bought a parts 10 when I had bought the 12 and the steering column on the parts tractor was in much better shape, same with the steering wheel. I had to cut the old steering wheel on the 12 off in three pieces. Once it was off I cleaned the shaft with a wire brush and then put antisieze on before I put the steering wheel on. I tried everything trying to get the steering wheel off and even soaked it in pb blaster for two weeks.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts