Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
serial# 1446 501202

This was my first garden tractor, it's my favorite, my workhorse. I use this in the summer as a backup mower, for leveling the driveway with a home made box scraper, pulls a trailer for cleanup duty's and in the winter as a driveway plow with a home made 4ft. blade.
I got this 7yrs. ago for $100. came with factory wheel weights, sleeve hitch, the original 12hp Tecumseh HH120, +starter generator setup, changed engine 4or5 years ago for a 13hp Honda clone. Aside from replacing all the mower deck bearings once, and getting the seat recovered with new padding I have done nothing to it but use it for what it's made for.
Who ever had this before me used it and took care of it, the front tires look like there original and are bald. This tractor came with the rubber molding still on the fender guards.
This is a real good candidate for restoration, next winter I want to put this back to original with the original engine setup and new paint.

Attachments

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it's proved itself over the years. You can drive full speed into a snow bank and all your going to do is bend up the blade, I know I've had to bend it back and beef it up a couple of times.

·
Hangin' with the cool kids
Ontario, Canada
2,549 Posts
Doug...Would love to see how well that 13hp clone fit in there.......I take it you got it from Princess Auto. I used one for my National....great engine.....If my MF10 ever needs a replacement, its good to know how one of those would fit

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
poncho62 said:
Doug...Would love to see how well that 13hp clone fit in there.......I take it you got it from Princess Auto. I used one for my National....great engine.....If my MF10 ever needs a replacement, its good to know how one of those would fit
Hi another Ont. guy
I've seen your pic of your National Triplex is that an 84? Also saw your massey in the groups section looks good.
Here a couple pics.
When I put mine in I removed the air cleaner cover for clearance and cut the exhaust pipe that came with the engine, welded in a iron pipe 90, notched the grill and the muffler ended up where you see it. You need 1" pulley for the crank, mine is a double, the PTO take off is bigger, speeds up the mower deck which is nice seems to be OK. Haven't had any trouble with it, gives reliable, predictable power. Always needs choke to start even when hot. Disadvantages small fuel tank and weak alternator, turn on lights you drain the battery.

This is a Princes Auto 13hp engine, it is smoother (less vibration), quieter (better muffler) than the HH120s.
I bought this motor new on sale, plus new pulleys, plus new PTO belt (larger size), plus taxes, spent $500. can. total. That much $ goes a long way to rebuild a HH120.
For what it's worth if I had to do it again, HH120 all the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi DH1, Thanks for the great thumbnail of the blower chute control crank side of the tractor. I will use it as a model for the one I am making. Your mounting bracket for the chute control looks a little different from the one shown in the 620 manual. Did you make it yourself and which of the bolts under the cowl is it mounted on?

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
It is amazing to me all the little details that were actually changed through the years with the same models.

·
Hangin' with the cool kids
Ontario, Canada
2,549 Posts
Thanks for the pics Doug...yes my National is an 84....I had a 68 also, but sold it to a friend.

BTW, my 13hp Princess Auto engine is the same it seems, always needs the choke to start it.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob P said:
Hi DH1, Thanks for the great thumbnail of the blower chute control crank side of the tractor. I will use it as a model for the one I am making. Your mounting bracket for the chute control looks a little different from the one shown in the 620 manual. Did you make it yourself and which of the bolts under the cowl is it mounted on?
This is the one blower that came with my MF10 it was complete, the chute control is original, it is 2 piece, 1 slides in the other, I made up a little bracket that mounts to the bigger bolts under the dash right by the serial # just for the MF12.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I really like the way the earlier style blowers hook up like the ones that you and Bob posted.

Looks like a great machine you found for a heck of a good price and it is always nice to hear how they prove them selves over the years.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the engine that came with my MF12Hydra 7yrs. ago when I first got it.
Sold it 3 or 4yrs. ago to another Massey GT guy who has since become a good friend. He was kind enough to sell it back to me with S/G, he had been using it as a test engine for his tractors, Garry if you see this Thanks again.
I can now put my MF12 back to original form.

Attachments

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spent some time today removed the Honda clone engine and installed the HH120, got it hooked up and running. Still need to do the wiring for the starter/generator and have to get a regulator. This was the motor that came with this tractor but it looks like it's had a short-block put in it at some point, found a tag on the engine. Post pic tomorrow.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Here it is with HH120 back in place, runs good, no difference in driving it around, both engines had the same size pulley for the Hydro trans. so there is no difference. Was able to find the original ignition key switch, and got it all hooked up proper except for the regulator which I have to get, right now it runs without one. Starter/generator is used to crank it over for now.

IMO if your thinking of putting a Honda clone in, for the money you will spend, rebuild the HH engine.

Some pictures.

Attachments

·
28 Posts
i just bought a 13 hp from princess auto the same one that you did and i noticed that you said that the altenator on it is not strong enough for the lights is there any sugestions for a small altenator to run lights and other small things. i was toldd that a small tracker altenator would work great but i am looking for somthing smaller.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi The alternator that comes with the princes auto 13hp engine is a trickle charge enough to keep the battery charged up, you can still use the lights you just have to remember that your draining the battery. I thought of putting like you say a small car alternator on, space is a problem, there might be enough room in front of the engine, on the frame, behind the grill, same spot they put the belt driven hyd. pump for factory lift.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts