Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi there!

I'm back working on my Bolens <a>197</a>1 1886-01 again! It has been a few years since I even took her our for a spin. Well, anywho, once again the Eaton 12 is running hot. My original one had the shaft all buggered up so I purchased one from OldBuzzard. Since putting it in it overheats. I guess the same issues he had. I have removed the rear, pulled the hydro pump. Was wondering if there is any way to test it? (Out of the rear). Should I try blowing out all the lines? At a loss at this point.... Would like to get it running for spring tilling. Any help appreciated! Maybe even if someone has an Eaton 12 in working order!?

Thanks,

Bernie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Bernie,

I am wondering when you say hot, how hot are you talking? I have a HT23 which I think has the Eaton 11 in it. It has a small 4 blade plastic fan that blowing air over the hydro. Does yours have that also?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
imac2017,

Hot is enough to boil the fluid out of the rear and melt the dipstick. Did not check temp, but it took the paint off the rear.

Yes, 4 blade fan mounted on driveshaft.

I know it's a closed loop system, I don't know where to go from here.

I believe I got the pump from Deerlope, not OldBuzzard (RIP).

I read where normal temps should be 160-190.

The only attachments I have are the 54" deck and a tiller.

Hydro operates up/down on the tiller and the deck.
Just overheats when driving around with no attachments. Lost as to what to do next.

I have the rear out and apart, cleaned.

Thank you,

Bernie

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,037 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks 29Chev,

I have been through that thread many, many times.

I did in fact purchase the hydro pump from Deerlope.

I have changed fluid (Rotella hydraulic ag fluid) and several filters. Never had any signs of metal or debris in fluid.

The pump does not whine at all. Seems very strong.

I'll start removing lines and checking for blockages.

Also remove the controls and spooler valves, check o-rings, check position of the P valve.

I have contacted the Duffs, awaiting email back.

I don't really want to take the pump apart, unless I have to.

The tractor does not seem to have ever had power steering.

There are no leaks anywhere in the system.

I did a repower with a new Kohler CH730 25hp engine.

Thank you,

Bernie

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thanks 29Chev,
I have been through that thread many, many times.
I did in fact purchase the hydro pump from Deerlope.
I have changed fluid (Rotella hydraulic ag fluid) and several filters. Never had any signs of metal or debris in fluid.
The pump does not whine at all. Seems very strong.
I'll start removing lines and checking for blockages.
Also remove the controls and spooler valves, check o-rings, check position of the P valve.
I have contacted the Duffs, awaiting email back.
I don't really want to take the pump apart, unless I have to.
The tractor does not seem to have ever had power steering.
There are no leaks anywhere in the system.
I did a repower with a new Kohler CH730 25hp engine.
Thank you,
Bernie
Bernie,
I have a dual spool valve that I know is in good working order if you find you need to replace it. I'm parting out an almost complete ht20 that I can pull other parts off of if you need something. I usually don't part out these tractors, but I needed parts off it myself (that I couldn't source) so now it will continue to be a donor tractor to keep many others going. This is(was) a running/driving tractor before I took off some major components off it that were needed for other tractors I'm putting together. Still has a nice running K532 in it as well. Message me if you're interested in anything & good luck getting to the bottom of your overheating problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks kjmweld, mucho appreciated!

Got in touch with Don Duff. Might be hydro pump, might be line issues.

I tore into it today, all lines clean, no blockages.

Removed proportional valve, it's empty.....one line in one line out..Hmmmm

Reassembling tomorrow, refill, new filter. We shall see.

If it fails, it's going to the Duffs for rebuild.

However, as it heats up, it does seem to slow down, which Don said could be the slippers allowing fluid by.

Thanks

Bernie

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,037 Posts
If you were to temporarily replace the lines with a line / hose from the pressure and return port and then temporarily run the unit to see if it still gets hot may help to determine whether the problem is in the hydro or a line issue - just a suggestion

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, the hydro is a screamer for sure. It is extremely loud.

working with Don Duff. Hopefully we can straighten this out.

ty

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still a loud hydro pump. Pulled front cover off. Slippers are bronze and in great condition, ring is very nice. No side to side movement in the rotor.... still searching for answers. Thanks everyone!

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,037 Posts
Screaming or loudness might indicate that a relief valve is constantly bypassing - makes me wonder if a passage way is badly restricted somewhere internally??

Noise may indicate pressure is rising rather than oil circulating as it should - just a thought

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a good idea. Got me a line made to run between ports. Back together again. Ran for 30 minutes up and down the road, overheated again, 200+ degrees. Don seems to think might be a pressure relief valve in the pump...maybe, who knows. Getting tired of taking apart and putting together again. Plus buying hydro fluid, think I'm on my 8th 5 gallon pail this year, between all my other tractors. ''Twas the year to change fluids and filters! Well thought I'd update. Time to drain and take apart again. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, an update to this issue. Working with the Duff’s, shipped out my rotor and pintle out. Getting new ones for the original hydro. Seems the hydro I bought possibly has cracks in the housing allowing fluid to slip by. Only time will tell and some happy thoughts. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts