Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serial # 1446 801780

This is a Massey garden tractor that I bought last summer, it was 1 hr's drive away for where I live and I got it cheap. Story goes they were cutting the back lawn and the tractor died, they couldn't get it running so it sat for 3yr's until they put it up for sale and I came along and bought it.
When I got it home took a good look and found that the the motor turns over has compression but something binds up inside. The throttle shaft pulls right out of the carb. I figure the 2 screws came loose and were swallowed up by the engine with the throttle plate while it was running and it died. (4th pic)
The mower deck is rusted right out, seat full of water and mold, has a different steering wheel on it. Aside from that everything else looks OK. A good one to fix up, right now it sits in a corner of the garage.

1st pic is how I got it.
2nd+3rd after mower deck and seat removed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Looks like a solid candidate for a restoration :D

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
NUTNDUN said:
Looks like a solid candidate for a restoration :D
:ditto:

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm working on my 66 MF10, got to finish that one first or my garage will be a mess.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It runs, fixed the carb, replaced 1 bent exhaust valve, laped the valve a bit, removed the remains of the carb screw from the piston and it runs. No smoke, a little noisy inside, runs smooth at high speed but does not want to idle.

Anybody know how to tighten up throttle shaft play? Mine moves around almost 1/4"
I have 4 carbs, 3 running engines, 2 carbs are good the other 2 carbs have way to much throttle shaft play.
Any help would be nice.

:help:

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
fordmustang1984 said:
try drilling the shaft holes out, and installing rubber or plastic bushings that fit better on the shaft.
:ditto: I prefer brass bushings, but plastic will do. I've only had to do a couple carbs. I have a lathe, so easy enough to turn my own from brass rod. You can buy small bushings and do it yourself pretty easy.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
I'd like to say thanks to fordmustang1984 and olcowhand.

I used a piece of copper tubing was the only thing I found that was close, drilled out the top of the carb. to fit the tube, there is not much mat. there to work with, the bottom is closed off no air can get in there, cut the tube to length, filed the inside to get it to slide on the shaft, put it all together and a nice tight fit.
Motor now has a nice smooth steady idle, sounds like it would idle all day no problem.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've taken a real good look, driven this tractor now, it needs to come apart, I thought I could give it a quick fix-up after I got it running and sell it but it's got too many problems.
Be nice to sell this one to fund the hobby.

-Clutch pedal bent and really stiff.
-Vari-drive control stiff.
-1 front tire won't hold air.
-No seat.
-Wrong steering wheel + sloppy (upper bushing).
-1 tie rod end n/g.
-Front axle center pivot sloppy.
-No battery.
-1 battery terminal broken.
-Front Vari-drive belt worn out (too narrow).
-PTO foot pedal assembly needs rebuild.
-PTO jack shaft " " "
-Top of front grill broken needs welding.
-Implement lift handle bent and loose.
-No mower deck (I have 2 spares both need rebuilds).
-Plus???

This tractor looks a lot better than it is and needs to be pulled apart and fix everything that's not right.

I'm going to put this away for now and get back on my 66.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
If you are going to sell it to fund the hobby then I would just do the little things that need to be fixed and leave it at that. Out of that list you posted I would slap a decent cheap seat on it, throw a tube in the tire, lube up the variable components, put a used battery in it and put the new battery in one of your keepers and probably leave it at that if I was just selling it.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got 3 days off maybe I should see what I can get done on my GTs.

·
28 Posts
if you were going to sell it how much would like to sell it for i am not all that far away and i am allways up for a drive

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NUTNDUN said:
If you are going to sell it to fund the hobby then I would just do the little things that need to be fixed and leave it at that. Out of that list you posted I would slap a decent cheap seat on it, throw a tube in the tire, lube up the variable components, put a used battery in it and put the new battery in one of your keepers and probably leave it at that if I was just selling it.
Well thanks to NUTNDUN I spent 4hrs on this thing today, fixed the clutch pedal, went through the whole varidrive adjustment procedure (everything was way off), tightened up the steering, put a tube in the front tire, ran the fuel line though the shroud, bent it back in shape, cleaned out he fins again, and fixed up whatever else I found, still have to put a seat on it and fix the hood hinge.
It still looks the same just works a lot better now. I'll post pic when it's finished.
When I finished on it for today had it running at idle forgot about it, 3hrs later still running.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
See, I am here for ya buddy :thumbs: LOL You made some awesome progress on it.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is what it looks like now, far from a restoration but a decent working tractor. Starts easy runs smooth and everything works. The clutch is still a bit stiff the spring binds up sometimes, I have 3 spring assembly there all about the same, better design would be nice.

Attachments

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today I fixed up one of my mower decks, mounted it and got it working, cuts not to bad.
Had to replace 2 idler pulleys on the deck, 1 pulley on the foot clutch, All 3 belts, weld up one of the roller brackets, replace one of the hanger brackets and adjust it all up. The spindles on this deck were good just sharpened the blades, cut some grass for about 1hr and it seems OK.
All the parts needed came from my parts that I've collected, so it cost me nothing to get this done.
This is far from a restoration like a lot of other tractors you see here, I've just done what was needed to make it usable.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts