Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 240 Garden tractor, 38" deck ,42" snow thrower, 42" Briley backblade
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each time I use the 240 I do learn something.
Today while mowing the PTO just shut off !
Where would I look for a broken wire .....it is electric correct ?
The PTO is flaky in starting...
@PA318Guy is sure to know ...
I would like to improve its performance before winter for sure ..
Thanks

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
You might check the gap between the clutch plates, I set mine at around .016 inches. There should be 3 little windows to measure the gap and three lock nuts to tighten or loosen as needed. If gapped too wide they are known to just quit when hot or in use. Also check the voltage at the battery when at high speed, should be 13 and over on voltage. If the volatage is low the clutch will eventually disengage. I'm not a tech, just a couple of things I have learned the hard way.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,120 Posts
If the battery is junk or the charging system is not working the PTO will shut off as soon as the battery does dead or nearly dead.

I set the air gaps on my Warner PTOs to .010-.012. Factory set Air gap on Warner PTOs is between .005 and .023 and it says in the service manual to reset to .012.

Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram Document

The Ogura PTO clutch air gap is 0.015”~0.022 .016 will work but it might be a bit to much depending on how worn it is. You want the PTO Brake to keep the pulley from spinning when disengaged. If it has a good bit of wear you might have to set the air gap a bit tighter for the brake to hold when disengaged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts