Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start a new educational series in MF's. I am acquiring 2 MF-10's

One is supposed to be a hydrauiic

Both have decks and I don't know the condition of the decks. Pictures will follow once I get them home.

My collection is growing quickly and I am running out of storage space but I will find a solution to that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hmm not sure what you mean by hydraulic but if you mean hydrostatic I don't think they made any hydrostatic mf 10s. However a 12 would be very similar and was made in a hydrostatic model.

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told and i havent seen it yet but I was told one had hydraulic lift so thats what I am hoping for. Time will tell

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
This is exciting news......

Looking forward to seeing what you've found.

If you're getting an electric, over hydraulic lift on one of them, that's a big

bonus. They're hard to find.

Pics, pics when you can. :rocker2:

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well(and yes that is a deep subject) I got to see them last night, they will be coming home this weekend.

It is sad to see an older person suffering from dimentia but I learned some things about them. Neither one has a hydraulic lift, and what he calls a 3 point lift is actually a sleeve hitch.

They both have mower decks though I am not sure if they are complete. Time will tell as I go through all of the loose parts laying around.

One has a starter generator and headlights ( he states it also has points and condensor for ignition), the second one does not have headlights and has a conventional starter and the solid state ignition ( the flywheel shroud is laying beside it) and it is missing the belt from the engine to the vari drive.

The second one needs a seat and some seat hardware.

From what I could see while standing there looking at them and looking around I may be a frequent buyer ay Joes outdoor for some missing parts. I have started downloading manuals to get a better idea how to finish putting these back together.

I will take the 1655 and a tow strap and pull them home this weekend ( they are less than a 1/2 mile from home) and then go back for all the loose parts I can identify.

I am hopeful I can get them up and running so they can be useful to mt daughter & son in law, and possibly my nephew.

And then again maybe they will want a new shiny toy and if thats the case my stable will grow by 2.

Later guys and thanks for being patient

·
Super Moderator
54,363 Posts
Good luck with the puzzles!

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Well an OEM sleeve hitch is still a really nice find, and it's probable that the belt start is points ignition.

I get really jittery when there is a non runner, CDI, and the tins are off... Hopefully it's OK. Make sure they didnt change the ignition switch with the wrong one. Happened a lot, unfortunately.

·
202 Posts
Well(and yes that is a deep subject) I got to see them last night, they will be coming home this weekend.

It is sad to see an older person suffering from dimentia but I learned some things about them. Neither one has a hydraulic lift, and what he calls a 3 point lift is actually a sleeve hitch.

They both have mower decks though I am not sure if they are complete. Time will tell as I go through all of the loose parts laying around.

One has a starter generator and headlights ( he states it also has points and condensor for ignition), the second one does not have headlights and has a conventional starter and the solid state ignition ( the flywheel shroud is laying beside it) and it is missing the belt from the engine to the vari drive.

The second one needs a seat and some seat hardware.

From what I could see while standing there looking at them and looking around I may be a frequent buyer ay Joes outdoor for some missing parts. I have started downloading manuals to get a better idea how to finish putting these back together.

I will take the 1655 and a tow strap and pull them home this weekend ( they are less than a 1/2 mile from home) and then go back for all the loose parts I can identify.

I am hopeful I can get them up and running so they can be useful to mt daughter & son in law, and possibly my nephew.

And then again maybe they will want a new shiny toy and if thats the case my stable will grow by 2.

Later guys and thanks for being patient
I have a bunch of 10/12 parts around here, so before you go wild... let me know what you're after and we'll see what can be worked out.

·
171 Posts
They came home last night. They appear complete, that does include mower decks.

In the 2 photos attached the tractor without a hood and grille has the starter generator and also appears to have an aluminum dash. And if my suspiscion is correct on the dash that will be the tractor I will hang on to for my daily use. I do have the hood and grille sitting off to the side and not shown in the photo

The second tractor appears to have the SSI ignition system.

I will be making an inventory of small items to locate to include mower blades, belts and then I will start on trying to get the engines running. These wont be rushed and as time permits I will do my best to keep the group updated. But the daughters wedding comes first in July

Attachments

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The wedding is still 6 days away, but yesterday the tractor with the starter generator not only ran, but had the mower installed and mowed the neighbors yard. I can say this witthout reservation the MF10 with its 42" mower deck does a better job of cutting grass than the 1855 with a 54" deck.

This one requirred new blades, 2 belts, a starter relay, carb cleaning, some wiring repair,and a bunch of hardware.

Oddly enough this deck uses a rubber washer between the blade and the cup washer that the blade bolt goes through. These are no longer available through AGCO. But they can be made.

I took a piece of flat rubber stock I had that was 3/8" inch thick and a 2 inch hole saw and cut three washers. Then I used a 1 inch hole saw and cut the center hole. Because it was rubber the holes were not the exact diameter needed, and that was resolved with a drum sanding wheel in the Dremel. All three fit snug over the spindle shaft and appear they are going to work nicely.

After the wedding #2 will get some TLC.

The second mower reck will need a new front roller and the bushings in the rear roller are beyond shot, their existance on the shaft is only a reminder that they once existed. Hopefully I can find them somewhere other than AGCO.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Great news, that you got the one going.

They sure are a joy to run.

The bushings for the rear roller, are readily available from a place like Fastenall.

From what I recall, it's just a stock bronze bushing.

For the front roller, take a look at boat trailer rollers. They are inexpensive, tough, and

easy to alter to fit.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
A couple of nice tractors. Doesn't look like very much rust to deal with just some parts. Good rescue projects.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts