Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
What about the tractor in the back ground?

·
the homeless tractor hoarder
5,248 Posts
Once you figure in the additional cost of exhaust fluid, plus the 3 grand extra for that engine right off the top, and more expensive fuel, oil changes, and higher priced air filter/fuel filters, there is no way you'll ever make it come out even.

I'd say that engine would be a very poor choice. :(

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
It's about time someone put some sanity back into the diesel pickup market. The super heavy duty, massive HP diesels just aren't needed by most people. I know a number of people who have tried the big diesels and gone back to the gas engines because they weren't saving enough on fuel to justify the up front cost. If this engine proves reliable they should sell a huge number of them. This will put the Ford eco boost V6 in it's place. It only gets slightly better mileage than the V8's. I hope this new 3l diesel can do better than that.

·
1,824 Posts
Everyone is trying to get in on the fun. The next generation Nissan Titan ('15??) will have a 5.0L Cummins.

Reactions: Trav1s

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I'm leaning towards it being an H. Any idea on the three government bins? Sioux or Sudenga?

About time a half tonner gets a diesel. Someone let me know when Chevy gets one. My '04 might get bumped out of the family.
Your team had one years ago... But they messed up and dropped it...

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
I think their dreaming on the fuel economy just like Ford was with that Eco -poop ... That diesel is hard on fuel in the Jeep and thats lighter than the Ram is ? Good luck!!

Now this country needs a reality check !! Why we are still using gasoline is beyond the wildest ...... It costs more to make, and pollutes even more?

They have these new diesels running so efficiently now its crazy! And the diesel exaust fluid is enviromently safe! Infact it can be used for fertilizer. urea (spelling) is used to give fruit trees a straight up shot of nitrogen so they produce larger fruit, peaches,plumbs, cherries ect.

I hope Dodge can make this little diesel work !! I would love to have a diesel half ton pickup !! But I ain't never buyin' a Dodge! :smilewink:

Reactions: OkieGt

·
Tractorholic
8,385 Posts
I hope it does well , we'll just have to wait and see how well they hold up in the real world , I thought the 6.0 & 6.4 Fords where good , and they are most of the time but seem $$$ to keep running .

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think their dreaming on the fuel economy just like Ford was with that Eco -poop ... That diesel is hard on fuel in the Jeep and thats lighter than the Ram is ? Good luck!!

Now this country needs a reality check !! Why we are still using gasoline is beyond the wildest ...... It costs more to make, and pollutes even more?

They have these new diesels running so efficiently now its crazy! And the diesel exaust fluid is enviromently safe! Infact it can be used for fertilizer. urea (spelling) is used to give fruit trees a straight up shot of nitrogen so they produce larger fruit, peaches,plumbs, cherries ect.

I hope Dodge can make this little diesel work !! I would love to have a diesel half ton pickup !! But I ain't never buyin' a Dodge! :smilewink:
But I ain't never buyin' a Dodge!, That kind of bias only hurts you not Dodge. I mean this in the best possible light, but when we close our minds, we only hurt ourselves. I do understand your statement and respect it, I will just tell you that kind of thinking hurt me more than it did anyone else. That said maybe they will start putting small diesels in Chevys and Fords as well, I hoope so, and hope you get one like you want, and no disrespect meant,

·
My projects take longer so I enjoy them more...
4,931 Posts
I have spent time behind the wheel of the current Grand Cherokees but not a diesel and they are nice rides. This would be my choice for a daily driver. All of the downsides on the table, I think a diesel engine is a better design.

Everyone is trying to get in on the fun. The next generation Nissan Titan ('15??) will have a 5.0L Cummins.
That is a significant marketing move. I would like to compare the V8 specs to the I-6 in the HD Rams. This is appealing but my real choice would be something like a Nissan Frontier with a 4 cylinder diesel and would hope for 35 MPG. I would expect with a good tune the Ram/GC combo would get those numbers too. The Liberty Diesel available in '05-'06 would get 35 MPG with a tune from Green Diesel Engineering.

·
1,824 Posts
Why we are still using gasoline is beyond the wildest ......
Once you figure in the additional cost of exhaust fluid, plus the 3 grand extra for that engine right off the top, and more expensive fuel, oil changes, and higher priced air filter/fuel filters, there is no way you'll ever make it come out even.
There's your answer.

Reactions: Gtractor

·
Tractorholic
3,414 Posts
All valid point but the cost difference in gasoline is offset by the cost of diesel . evil doings I'm afraid! And we're paying for it!!
Then we have bio- diesel too. If you know what your doing making it, it works good! You just need to keep it warm in cold weather. But thats something different and lests not go wild over it, it gets political.
I have owned a jeep liberty diesel..... nice little engine and plenry powerful, but the rest of it...... No so good. Also had a ram diesel, great engine, truck...... Well , it didnt hold up well to that powerplant. Consantly fixing the front end and transmissions, finally got them correct and the truck came down with cancer and sucumbed.
But boy that cummins ! Its still going strong !!
So bring on the 1/2 ton diesels and even the mid size rigs too i would love to have a Hilux diesel.

Reactions: OkieGt and Alc

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I wouls consider one, even though I do not like Chrysler products, although they have improved slightly since Fiat took them over.

I agree, people aren't on the diesal band wagon just mainly due to costs. Gas is sold cheaper by the gallon, maintenace is higher and just the upfront cost of purchase is higher.

Is 2800 that much out of line -vs- like buying a Ram w/Cummins? I don't know pricing, just asking.

I just hope they get this little V6 done better than the 4 cyl in the Libertys, I've read so much about failure wat too early in it's life. Plus the Libbys are just build like garbage all around, not sure why I'm getting ready to put a lift kit on ours other than we will have it for several more years. might as well make it enjoyable as possible.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
The new diesels are very efficient and run clean but there is no free lunch. They use DPFs and Urea injection to clean up the exhaust and use extremely high injection pressures. I did some research on the VW Jetta TDI diesel and discovered that there are a few weak spots in the system. The injector pump can fail and when it does it pumps metal shavings through the entire fuel system. It can cost up to 10K$ to repair. Also a problem is intercooler icing, which can put you on the side of the road in bad weather. This is more prevalent when doing short trips which because of the diesels long warm up time are probably anything less than 20 miles in cold weather. I just couldn't buy one after discovering these problems. I also realized that the short commutes that make up my driving are not an ideal match to a diesel. I loved the TDI I test drove. It was a 2l with a 6 speed manual. Fantastic drivetrain and great mileage but innovation often comes with costs and risks and in this case both seemed a little too steep for me.

·
My projects take longer so I enjoy them more...
4,931 Posts
I wouls consider one, even though I do not like Chrysler products, although they have improved slightly since Fiat took them over.

I agree, people aren't on the diesal band wagon just mainly due to costs. Gas is sold cheaper by the gallon, maintenace is higher and just the upfront cost of purchase is higher.

Is 2800 that much out of line -vs- like buying a Ram w/Cummins? I don't know pricing, just asking.

I just hope they get this little V6 done better than the 4 cyl in the Libertys, I've read so much about failure wat too early in it's life. Plus the Libbys are just build like garbage all around, not sure why I'm getting ready to put a lift kit on ours other than we will have it for several more years. might as well make it enjoyable as possible.
Libby diesels were also a VMi engine. 2.8 litres and they used a timing belt. If regular maintenance is done on them they are fine. If you neglect them then you are in for problems. Another big problem with the 2.8 is the EGR system. A sime Green Diesel Engineering economy or power tune can take away much of the problems related to the EGR. The 2.8 got the 5-45RFE trans which is much better than the 42RE behind the 3.7. The Libby platform is not a good one but there seems to be a mess of them on the road. My 2004 Grand with the 4.7 HO does better on gas than the 3.7 powered Libbys. The other problem with the 2.8 is getting timing belts and water pumps when it is time to do repairs. I would only consider one if I had a backup vehicle if there are problems.

The VMi sourced 3.0 looks to be a timing chain but I cannot confirm that as of now.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll bet they offer a rebate on the diesel upgrade or somekind of tax incentive. Diesel is ONLY higher than gasoline, because diesel prices subsides gasoline. if not gas would be 6.00 a gallon.This little diesel will supposedly be bio diesel friendly as well. In Central American both Ford and Chevy sell the Ranger and S-10 in a 4 cylinder diesel that gets supposedly over 40MPG. I hope all you guys have the opportunity to buy the 1/2 ton or small diesel in your favorite brand, it helps America to lessen it's reliance on foreign oil and lessens the strain on the enviroment

1 - 20 of 32 Posts