Garden Tractor Forums banner

3 pt activation

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  DL-North 
#1 ·
The recent post about 3 pt hitch raised this question to me,

why do all/most/some of the 3 pt's use the rock shaft for activation?

how do to then use the tractor with 2 attachments on it at the same time?

for example; a front mount bower and rear blade, or a rear tiller and the mower deck?

Wondering how to do it,

Dan

#2 ·
The rock shaft uses "leverage" to lift the heavy implements on the 3 pt hitch.

Most GT's that I have seen only allow 1 piece of equipment at a time to be operated with a single cylinder attached to the rock shaft.

My Wheel Horse GT14 has a mid mount cylinder for mower or front blade and another cylinder for the 3 point.

The same tractor can use the mid mount OR 3 pt with only 1 cylinder using the rock shaft and a long bar to the 3 pt hitch.

#3 ·
The Massey MF 14 / 16 used a mid mount cylinder to raise / lower mower deck, dozer blade, tiller, snow blower, etc. while the 3 3 pt had its own cylinder but used same valve body to operate both cylinders. A lock out strap is used to prevent the cylinder from moving the attachment your not using.

If only 1 lift cylinder only 1 attachment can use that lifting cylinder

Here is my MF 14 with the 3pt locked out with strap

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Massey MF 14 with 2 attachments attached

Wheel Plant Riding mower Lawn mower Tire

Attachments

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Seeing how you posted under the Bolens forum I'll answer for the Bolens Large frame, yes as stated the rock shaft is the leverage pivot that allows implement lift, you can't operate front ,center (mowing deck) or rear up and down simultaneously independent on these . They made a lock up kit for the front blade, and the 3pth came with a lock block to hold it in the up position, however the lift arms would have to be removed from whatever implement front or back if lock up were to be used. IMO the lock in position block on the LF's 3pth were not designed to carry any weight ( ie like leaving a rear blade or rake on) just to lock the 3pth up and out of the way, but again that's my take.
My Simplicity Legacy XL has a switch that lets you chose where the hydraulics flow and has a very solid lock up position bar for the 3pth, understand totally different technology not to mention age difference between the comparison

Correction/clarification : lock out block on the model 18086 3pth, is what I am referencing

#5 ·
Most Power Kings have the problem of both implements, front or rear wanting to raise or lower together, OR, at times one goes up other down and makes it non-usable. My late model Tractors have dual hydraulics systems to operate two cylinders and then rear and front or mid can be operated differently. But is two valves, cylinders and levers to do that.

#7 ·
Typically you can only use the 3pt without any other rockshaft actuated attachment. Yah, you can do funny stuff if you want to but the intent was to only run one attachment off of the rockshaft.

#10 ·
Thanks guys,

Now I know 1 reason why guys have more than 1 tractor, so they don't have to change attachments. :)

I was really hoping to use a back blade with the snow blower, maybe I'll have to add a cylinder for the back blade.

And to be different,the Iseki has a cylinder on the 3 pt, and uses a cable to lift the mower deck. Not impressive.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.