Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’m a noobe to JD. I picked up a nice 318. I want to rebuild the mower deck. One of the spindles has play in it. I could not find a model number anywhere but I did fin a serial number. I was hoping someone may know which model I have and where would be best to source parts.
1. Can I replace the bearings?
2. Would anyone have p/n?
3. One of the spindles blade mount threaded hole is stripped I believe that would require a spindle replacement?
4. I’d like to install a new idler bushing and spring. P/n?
I wish I had the parts manual as I could probably cross reference parts and answer most of my questions.

I plan on painting the deck while everything is apart. Here’s a few pictures and I thank you for any information that you can share.
Yellow Font Paint Material property Gas
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Yellow Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Asphalt
Yellow Font Paint Material property Gas
Automotive tire Yellow Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Asphalt

·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the extra images not too good at this 😳

·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m going to paint the tins also. Everything is cleaned.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Shelf Bumper

·
Super Moderator
54,343 Posts
Okay, you have a 46" deck. For what machine?

·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, you have a 46" deck. For what machine?
So sorry about that. It’s a JD 318 with electronic ignition. It’s also got a rear pto which I’ll never use. I’m hoping to get many years of good mowing if I can rebuild the deck. I don’t see any snap rings on Those spindles to remove the bearings.
Wood Gas Serveware Household hardware Circle
Wood Gas Serveware Household hardware Circle

·
Super Moderator
54,343 Posts

·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much. I’ll look around in there.

·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did find some parts. Any thoughts on how to access the bearing? I see what appears to be slots for a spanner wrench. I’m hoping someone may know how to take one apart? The snap rings are buried inside of this assy which I can’t get apart.
Thank you so much. I’ll look around in there.
I did find some parts. Any thoughts on how to access the bearing? I see what appears to be slots for a spanner wrench. I’m hoping someone may know how to take one apart? The snap rings are buried inside of this assy which I can’t get apart.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part
I’m

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Check this link out if not good they are dozens more to look at. I’m not trying to avoid helping you but sometimes if it’s on YouTube it’s easier to follow the actual repair than to try and explain the process.

·
Super Moderator
54,343 Posts
Since the link I posted is correct, I would say the snap rings are holding the lower bearing in the hub (#7 or #18). Think the shaft pushes out the bottom.

·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perfect, I agree YouTube will be a great place to look. I appreciate all your help. I’ll take some pictures when it’s done. Btw after more research I found that my deck is 50”.

·
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the spindles out. I’m fighting with the snap ring that retains the bearings. I need to find a way to remove that clip ugh. I’m doing a bit of painting while it’s apart. I’ll look into the breaks at some point. They work but they are at the end of their adjustment
Automotive tire Asphalt Bumper Gas Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Bumper Yellow Hood Tool
Green Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle Gas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts