Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Anything Red . . .
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had 5" of rain in the last 24 hours. And expecting at least an inch more. This is going to be the year of the Great Kishwaukee River Flood!!!

·
Super Moderator
54,818 Posts
We had areas get 3-6" of rain in just a few hours overnight. Some flash flood warnings were out!

·
Tractorholic
8,404 Posts
Wow ! That's a lot of water ! You guys be careful

·
220 Posts
Not sure how much we have had here, but sump pump in the basement was running non-stop in the night and creek 2 blocks behind the house was flooded into surrounding fields. And I have never seen that happen!

·
Homelite Owner Extraordinaire
3,174 Posts
They have been predicting over 4" for us for thelast week. Now as of today maybe 1 1/2" of rain. 65* here today and cooler on the weekend. Hope you stay safe. Roger.

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
Yeah they are reporting anywhere from 3-6"+ (rain guages overflowing does not make for accuracy) in the last 24 hrs here too.

I have water standing on the side hills? And there are reports of flash Flooding all over the state.

Next they are predicting a chance of heavy snow into the weekend??(figures I took the chains off the ford and have a guy coming to put a new tire on(between the rains?)?)

I'm beginning to wonder if the potatoes and onions I planted a weekago Monday will grow or rot before the ground warms up?

They have been saying the surface soil moisture was back to Normal, but sub-soil moisture was still very inadequate.

I can not help but wonder if the topsoil is saturated how much of this moisture will wick down instead of run off?

·
Anything Red . . .
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just heard on the Chicago news about a suburban woman who lives next to a cemetary, that she has 6 feet of water in her basement and it smells of enbalming (SP) fluid!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Send me your next 5 inches of rain Rich... I would hate to see you flood out.. You guys be safe out there..

Basement of embalming fluid smell... Yuck..

Reactions: LilysDad

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
You all be careful with all that rain I'm sure there will be flooding. Yesterday the N. GA mountains got several inches of rain but we stayed dry. The system in the Midwest is supposed to come through tomorrow morning so they think it may not be as bad as it has been out there.

Reactions: hamman

·
I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork
802 Posts
They have been saying the surface soil moisture was back to Normal, but sub-soil moisture was still very inadequate.

I can not help but wonder if the topsoil is saturated how much of this moisture will wick down instead of run off?
That's the problem. The topsoil is so wet whatever falls on it runs off and doesn't do any good but make messes.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Seems we are not off to a dry start this year anyway. Lets hope this trend moderates and we get back some of the deep moisture needed to bring the water tables back up to normal without flooding everyone out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You might be right LD, that river is predicted to crest pretty high.

pryi2_hg.png

We are dodging a major flood here on the Milwaukee River, but not by much. Canoeing out to the road is getting a little old however . The rains here overnight seemed to hold down south of I-94, and really hit Illinois hard.

Stay safe !

cedw3_hg.png

·
Tractorholic
2,731 Posts
Only 3.35" here & we needed it!

Our road;

Sky Water Car Plant Infrastructure

Local airstrip;

Sky Water Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

Up the creek:

Sky Water Tree Natural landscape Atmospheric phenomenon

Water to the edge of the blacktop (it's been 3-4 years since the water's been over the road);

Sky Water Natural landscape Grey Lake

Neighbor's pond (it was higher earlier this morning);

Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Lowell

Attachments

Reactions: KennyP

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
You might be right LD, that river is predicted to crest pretty high.

pryi2_hg.png

We are dodging a major flood here on the Milwaukee River, but not by much. Canoeing out to the road is getting a little old however . The rains here overnight seemed to hold down south of I-94, and really hit Illinois hard.

Stay safe !

cedw3_hg.png
Marlboro 180 That is a good Graphic! I had almost forgot about those! I used to have one bookmarked and reffered to it constantly when I lived in Colfax on the South Skunk River. Then we lost our house in Aug. 2010 to a flood(I was on the other side of an 18 ft Dike) and moved to higher ground.. Now I'm 8 miles from a river and 60 ft above the nearest waterway. Anyone living around a River can likely find these graphs for rivers near them.

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
Only 3.35" here & we needed it!

Our road;

attachicon.gif
HPIM1090 (Custom).JPG

Local airstrip;

attachicon.gif
HPIM1092 (Custom).JPG

Up the creek:

attachicon.gif
HPIM1093 (Custom).JPG

Water to the edge of the blacktop (it's been 3-4 years since the water's been over the road);

attachicon.gif
HPIM1094 (Custom).JPG

Neighbor's pond (it was higher earlier this morning);

attachicon.gif
HPIM1095 (Custom).JPG

Lowell
Lowell That and worse are what the pictures look like between Us. There are a lot of roads as near as 20 mile south of Des Moines(Lucas) and SE of here with water over them.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Indeed JD, I forgot to add the link for those graphics/ hydrographs. Sorry you lost your home to flood, must have been a difficult time for sure.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps/

That will bring one to the main overview of the US, then zoom into the area you want to look at.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts