Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tractorholic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what voltages I should read at various points on the charging system?

My starter works great but I don't think I am getting enough output back to the battery when running. I get 12.4 volts. Was thinking it should be about 13.5 to 14. Just put it together so don't really have a run down battery yet.

What output should be coming out of the smaller gauge wire on the generator?

What should be on the larger gauge wire when it is running?

Trying to determine if it is the generator or the regulator?

If I may ask one more question... This tractor has a 6 hp briggs that does not have points? Not original motor. Is there a way to connect a kill switch? I was looking for a wire to ground out but there are no wires coming off the coil except the spark plug wire.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
181 01 said:
Can anyone tell me what voltages I should read at various points on the charging system?

My starter works great but I don't think I am getting enough output back to the battery when running. I get 12.4 volts. Was thinking it should be about 13.5 to 14. Just put it together so don't really have a run down battery yet.

What output should be coming out of the smaller gauge wire on the generator?

What should be on the larger gauge wire when it is running?

Trying to determine if it is the generator or the regulator?

If I may ask one more question... This tractor has a 6 hp briggs that does not have points? Not original motor. Is there a way to connect a kill switch? I was looking for a wire to ground out but there are no wires coming off the coil except the spark plug wire.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
You are correct that you should be getting a reading around 13-14 volts

If you can post some pictures of the engine we may be able to help you rig up a kill switch.
I believe there are a few delco remy service bulletins in the manuals section that talk about testing.

·
Squeaky Wheel
7,446 Posts
Is it a combination starter/generator? If so I posted an article recently on the home page about how to test them. It is more than likely the regulator, but the easiest way to decide for sure is test the starter/generator.

·
Tractorholic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
performed the generator tests today. No output out of the field windings. I read something about polarizing a generator but you need to know if you have an A style or B style. Any idea what Bolens used on the 600? It is a Delco unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts