Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have an old Cub that I would like to swap to a diesel, the reason for this is because my (piece of junk) Kohler Magnum just locked up and broke something internally... I already have a new engine picked out, I'm just wondering how it would fit and what modifications I would need to make. The new Diesel is a Kubota 478cc 13.5 HP out of a Kubota T1600 lawn tractor.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It would be a lot easier if you could find a 782D parts tractor. Some of the parts from it may help you out. On the 782D, the battery is located under the hood and the fuel tank is located under the seat. This was done to make room for the longer engine and radiator. Your engine may not need these modifications. You will need an adaptor from the engine fly wheel to the drive shaft

A look under the hood of a 782D

DW-1503-TRAC90-4.png

Attachments

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
720 Posts

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
MTD built 1512 is the same frame with the Kubota d600 diesel. Also a diesel off a refrigeration unit from a semi would make a good engine. Not sure what mods would be needed. My be cheaper than buy a Kubota.

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
The problem with using refrigeration engines is they usually have over sized oil pans that makes them difficult to fit in the garden tractor. Normal pans are available for some of them but you might have to change the oil pickup tube.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
That could very easily be Chris. Never looked at one that close. Friend does a lot of scrapping and last year a 4 or5 of those diesels around. Sold a couple of them but not sure what they went on. As reliable as the Kubota's are I think I would go that route if it was going to be my main tractor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.K., well the reason I was asking is because there already is a definite engine picked out. If I go with a diesel, I'm gonna be using this engine; the price is only 400 bucks and it runs great. Also, a 782D parts tractor? not sure if that even exists... if it did, someone would have picked up every valuable part by now. Another thing, the engine is much smaller than the engine in it now, the Magnum 18 is 42 cubic inches and this little diesel is 28 cubic inches.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
720 Posts
Lol yeah! That's why I opted for a diesel.
I think I may agree with achto on this one. You may need extra hardware that you didn't have in your 782. And missing that hardware would mean you would need a parts tractor. If I were you, I'd look for the hardware needed to install the engine, and I'd it required something you don't have, buy a parts tractor. Or look to see for online parts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I may agree with achto on this one. You may need extra hardware that you didn't have in your 782. And missing that hardware would mean you would need a parts tractor. If I were you, I'd look for the hardware needed to install the engine, and I'd it required something you don't have, buy a parts tractor. Or look to see for online parts.
Well considering the engine came from a shaft drive lawn tractor, I would think it has most of everything I need. The crankshaft sizes of the Magnum and the Diesel might be the same so that wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: jcp7hp

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
$400 for a good running diesel is an excellent price. Do you have a radiator for that engine?

This coming from someone who has done several diesel conversions, if you have easy access to a parts tractor I'd latch on to it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
$400 for a good running diesel is an excellent price. Do you have a radiator for that engine?

This coming from someone who has done several diesel conversions, if you have easy access to a parts tractor I'd latch on to it.
Yes, the engine is still in the tractor so it has all the parts including the radiator. Also I don't have any access to a parts machine.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Z482 2 cylinder diesel should fit very well in Cub, its shorter than the D600 leaving more room for bigger battery, which was one of the bad sides of the 782/882, it was to small of a battery to light it off in cold winter temps unless it had the block heater. And sometimes that wasnt even enough requiring a high doller gear reduction starter that was a pain in the arse to install. Anything is possible, dont let anybody tell you other wise. Take you time, make sure your motor mounts we very strong either welded or grade 8 bolts or even both. Might be a good time to upgrade the drive shaft to U joints at each end as the torque pulses in a diesel tend to destroy roll pins and their holes they mount in. Build it right and enjoy a nice fuel sipping tractor! Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Z482 2 cylinder diesel should fit very well in Cub, its shorter than the D600 leaving more room for bigger battery, which was one of the bad sides of the 782/882, it was to small of a battery to light it off in cold winter temps unless it had the block heater. And sometimes that wasnt even enough requiring a high doller gear reduction starter that was a pain in the arse to install. Anything is possible, dont let anybody tell you other wise. Take you time, make sure your motor mounts we very strong either welded or grade 8 bolts or even both. Might be a good time to upgrade the drive shaft to U joints at each end as the torque pulses in a diesel tend to destroy roll pins and their holes they mount in. Build it right and enjoy a nice fuel sipping tractor! Mike
Thanks for the info on the driveshaft! I'll be sure to look into that so nothing gets bent / broken. You said that the engine from a t1600 is called a z482? I looked up the z482 and it says that it puts out 10.9 Hp, but on tractordata it says the engine in the t1600 tractor puts out 13.5??? Maybe a turbo???

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
The Z482's that I have had were rated at 12hp. They are good little engines. Extremely frugal with the fuel. I think I still have one in the shed.

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
Now I need to pull my foot out of my mouth and make a correction. The engines I used were Z430's. Same 2 cylinder configuration. Sorry for the misinformation. Been years since I've worked on them.

Engine Detail

Kubota Z430

Displacement:

424 cc 25.9 ci

Bore/Stroke:

2.60x2.45 inches 66 x 62 mm

Power (gross):

12 hp 8.9 kW

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now I need to pull my foot out of my mouth and make a correction. The engines I used were Z430's. Same 2 cylinder configuration. Sorry for the misinformation. Been years since I've worked on them.

Engine Detail Kubota Z430 Displacement: 424 cc 25.9 ci Bore/Stroke: 2.60x2.45 inches 66 x 62 mm Power (gross): 12 hp 8.9 kW
Ohhhhh ok! Strangely though, the z482s are 478cc and on the Kubota site, they are rated at 10 hp. The engine in the t1600 lawn tractor is rated at 13.5? They are supposed to be the same engine, why the horsepower difference?

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
I'm guessing it's how the injector pump is set up. The Kubota g4200 with the Z430 is rated at 12hp.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts