Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Traill95
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70's MF8 with the 8hp Tecumseh engine that I think is going to need the stator replaced. Is there any conversion kit to replace this and convert to solid state ignition?

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
What Tecumseh model are we looking at?

Solid state ignition can be added for about $13. You use the same coil, stator, and such parts, but add a chip in to replace the condenser and points. I have those solid state kits in stock, they've worked well when I get ticked too far on points and condenser.

However, the stater will work best being replaced as a magneto style, not the under flywheel alternator engines use now. If a kit is available, I would need a model to find out. I doubt it though, I've never heard of one.

I have a new magneto style stator in a box. I think I have a set of charging coils, also, depending on model number and number of coils required. Many times all the problem is is a broken wire or a ground grounding in the wrong place.

Ben W.

Reactions: Traill95

·
Traill95
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What Tecumseh model are we looking at?

Solid state ignition can be added for about $13. You use the same coil, stator, and such parts, but add a chip in to replace the condenser and points. I have those solid state kits in stock, they've worked well when I get ticked too far on points and condenser.

However, the stater will work best being replaced as a magneto style, not the under flywheel alternator engines use now. If a kit is available, I would need a model to find out. I doubt it though, I've never heard of one.

I have a new magneto style stator in a box. I think I have a set of charging coils, also, depending on model number and number of coils required. Many times all the problem is is a broken wire or a ground grounding in the wrong place.

Ben W.
I will get back to you this weekend on the exact year and model. I got tired of it shearing the key in the flywheel every time I tried to start it so put it in the other garage and went back to working on my choremasters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts