Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of my manuals or brochures have good, clear pictures of these areas, and some of my stuff isn't in color. So, I have a couple of questions for our project.

Question #1: What color were the rear wheel lug bolts from the factory? Red, like the wheel centers, or silver, like the outer rim? If silver, is it Silver Mist like the rims or Flint Gray like the rest of the chassis?

Question #2: What type of nuts were originally used on the battery hold down bracket? Also, were any washers used from the factory?

The tractor in question is a 1968 model.

Thanks for the help!

·
4,482 Posts
None of my manuals or brochures have good, clear pictures of these areas, and some of my stuff isn't in color. So, I have a couple of questions for our project.

Question #1: What color were the rear wheel lug bolts from the factory? Red, like the wheel centers, or silver, like the outer rim? If silver, is it Silver Mist like the rims or Flint Gray like the rest of the chassis? SilverMist

Question #2: What type of nuts were originally used on the battery hold down bracket? Also, were any washers used from the factory? I believe it was just ordinary hex nuts with a flat washer. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The tractor in question is a 1968 model.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: MH81

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Silver Mist is about as close to zinc coating as we'll get, and it'll look similar from a distance.

As far as the battery hold down, I think we'll go with standard hex nuts and flat washers.

Thanks for the help!

·
Only member from Western South Dakota!
1,771 Posts
Could you post a pic of the stock battery hold down sometime? My 12G never had one and no evidence of one ever there. When I did the re-power I built one.

DAC

·
Tractorholic
626 Posts
On my four MF-12's the rear lug bolts were just zinc coated like ordinary hardware, no paint.
I concur.

But I have no idea about the battery hold down. My best guess would be a nut and flat washer. Maybe check agco parts books.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
I think they used a wing nut and washer for the battery hold down. ???

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I too have a quick massey ferguson 12 question... What size rims/tires are on a massey ferguson 12?

What kind of oil/fluid goes in the transaxle?

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could you post a pic of the stock battery hold down sometime? My 12G never had one and no evidence of one ever there. When I did the re-power I built one.

DAC
These pics are of the one I had to make. Our original one looked like it was "modified" to fit an incorrect battery at some point during it's life.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I concur.

But I have no idea about the battery hold down. My best guess would be a nut and flat washer. Maybe check agco parts books.
I didn't think to check the Agco parts book, good idea!

I think they used a wing nut and washer for the battery hold down. ???
A wing nut would be nice for winter removal.

Rears are 23-8.5-12. OEM
The fronts I can't remember

Most guys put 23-10.5-12 on the rears and enjoy them more.
We went with the 23x10.5-12 on the rear and stock size up front.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Agcoparts.com shows a standard 1/4-20 hex nut underneath the hold down bracket with another hex nut on top. Mind you, this is only for what looks like ours, as there were different styles made over the production run. So, this is the route we went with, however, I did add a 1/4" flat washer on the bottom and top sides of the bracket.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would paint the rear wheel bolts aluminum which is closer to the original color that silver mist gray. The front tires are 16x6.50-8. Rears are 23x8.50-12. There were two different battery hold downs used on the 10 and 12 tractors. The earlier ones used a 1/4 rod with a hook on the end of it and threaded on the other end. There were holes in the back bottom corner of the battery box for these rods to hook into. An angle iron type strap went on the outside top edge of the battery and these rods went up through this strap with a 9/32" ID hole, 5/8" OD size and 1/16" thick. 1/4" flat washers (basically 1/4" flat washers) and 1/4" NC self locking nuts were used to tighten it down.

Tractors with the other style hold down had 1/4" rods that stuck up at the back corners of the battery box. A special flat hold down was used with a lip extending up on one side and one extending down on the other. The strap sat on the top back edge of the battery with the downward lip sliding down on the back of the battery. Same 1/4" flat washer and 1/4" NC self locking nuts were used.

The wheels were different colors depending on the year of the tractor. The earlier models had aluminum color rims with red centers. Same with the fronts (the center caps were aluminum colored). Later models from 1969 and up were painted entirely silver mist gray. By the way, the chassis is not flint gray but flint gray METALLIC. If you buy the flint gray paint it is not the same color as the flint metallic gray. The flint gray without the metallic looks dull and plain in comparison. The paint code is M1025. It is also available from TISCO company.

Hope this information is helpful.

·
129 Posts
I think the original design of the battery box, which ran almost flush with the hood, used the vertical carriage bolts that were held in place at the back with a dab of weld. When the box was deepened so that its floor sat an inch or two below the line of the hood, the battery hold down was changed to the diagonal version, that was held in place by hooks. The parts book for the '66 MF10 shows vertical rods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts