Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 8H today, it was listed in an estate auction as a Massey #8. Arriving at the auction I found out it was a 8H and not just the tractor but the dozer blade and the snow blower.
Tractor is a little rough but looks complete and it wasnt in pieces like the last 14 I purchased. No post is good without pictures, so here they are. Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle Font Material property Automotive tire Gas Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood
Going by the serial numer it is a 1975. The wheel weights on the back axle does anyone know if they are Massey Ferguson weight? I have not found any markings on them.

Attachments

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Yes, those are the Massey rear wheel weights.

Nice score. And, welcome to GTT. Sounds like you have a few already.
Sure would like to see some pics of your herd.

Looking at your latest one, I notice, the seat has a small tear in it. You might want to
cover that up. Frozen foam, is hard on the butt.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Excellent score! It looks like you really got a lot of cool stuff! Little bit of work and you'll be ready for winter, spring and summer!

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had time today to put in a carb kit, since gas was running out of the air filter, along with a battery and after a few tries it started. All the controls seem to work fine except for the brake on the rear axle, hydro works great and mower deck engaged with no problems. Now to go pull the mower deck off and hook up the snow blower.

·
Always on the Hunt
244 Posts
Great find with all the attachments!! Have you had to use it for snow removal yet?

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No haven't had a chance to use the snowblower yet, no snow yet in IA to try it out. Sounds like it may be a couple more weeks before we may have a chance of snow around here.

·
Always on the Hunt
244 Posts
Well be sure and take some action shots for those of us who have no snow, let alone a snow blower!

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are a couple of action shots using the snow blower. Snow Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle Snow Automotive tire . I had time to start digging out from Thursday's blizzard and was going along just fine until the engine quit. It didnt sound good when it stopped running. I will pull the engine out tomorrow and see what i can find out.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Best of luck with that engine, hope it's something simple and you can be up and running again quickly.

·
Always on the Hunt
244 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Looks too cold up there for me!

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Very nice MF8 package. The blower and plow are in very nice shape. The engine in my 8 had no compression when I got it. Carbon buildup had stopped one of the valves from closing.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on the engine: This am I pulled the spark plug out (which was just finger tight) and turned over the engine with my thumb over the spark hole, the engine had some compression, i next checked for spark and it looked good. After putting the spark plug back in and tightened it up correctly, I checked the oil and it was low and I had just topped it off yesterday. I decided to see if the engine would start and run. It started right up but didnt sound right I could here a knock in the engine time for a tear down.
After tearing the engine down I found 2 major issues; 1 Connecting rod bolt was finger tight and rod and cap are shot Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Bicycle part Rim Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Grey Automotive design . The piston also had a lot of slop in it.
Anyone have any idea on how to get the flywheel off? There are no holes to put a puller on it. Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
On those flywheels, I use the smack and hope method.

Back the nut out untill flush with the end. Then I take two handi bars or large screwdrivers and put some decent pressure, constant between the case and the flywheel on opposing sides... Say 10:00 & 4:00
A second person smacks the end of the shaft with a brass hammer. Don't be to soft, about the force of driving a 16d nail is what I've always equated it to.

You want to have the other side of the case on, IDK what would happen if you didn't... Wouldn't want the case to be stressed or crack at the flywheel area.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
I pulled my HH120 flywheel off using a large 3 jaw puller and hammering the bolt against the shaft while gently tightening the puller. Don't know if that will help here.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
You know, this might be a good time to try an idea I saw on this forum. I think you use 4 wood splitting wedges. Place the engine on a flat surface, then slip one wedge point up on each side. Then take two more wedges and push them in point down. Gently tap the upper wedges down so that force is applied evenly on both sides. Continue till the flywheel pops loose.

I can't remember who to thank for that tip.

·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the wedge tip, i put 2 wide metal chisels between the block and flywheel and one hit with ball peen hammer it came off. I found the oil dipper in 4 parts in the bottom of the engine block. Now to find parts, looks like I will need piston and connecting rod, oil dipper and a gasket set.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts