Garden Tractor Forums banner
521 - 540 of 569 Posts

· Texas Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
RIP Shop Cat. Not sure what happened, but she showed up yesterday with paralyzed rear legs. Vet wasn't sure without a bunch of expensive tests, but did say it could be caused by rabies.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Super Moderator
1976 Sears SS18, 2008 JD 2320
14,275 Posts
Sorry to hear that Larry! We had 2 cats here and last year one of them was suddenly unwell and it turned out he had congestive heart failure. Very sudden and no real way to treat it.

Reactions: KennyP

· Super Moderator
55,856 Posts
Her Son is real skittish View attachment 418385
but I think he will come around and be a good shop cat.
Feed him, make slow movements around him. Get a can of tuna, put some out, but keep some near you. He'll smell that and want to eat. Let him get use to you.

Reactions: larrybl and JDBrian

· A Little Off Plumb
9,894 Posts
Hopefully the son and mother had rabies shots - if not I would be very cautious of the son as he may also have the virus from being around the mother if she had the virus. Had to get the shots back in the late 60's - and while things have improved since then it still would not be fun to deal with.

· Super Moderator
14,275 Posts
So true about tuna! Our remaining male cat goes completely gaga over tuna! It’s better than catnip to him!

Reactions: larrybl and KennyP

· A Little Off Plumb
9,894 Posts
Looking at the three washers you have at the bottom of the vertical steering shaft gear in the video they may be keeping the shaft from fully engaging with the larger gear teeth on the cross shaft. If you only had one washer in there the steering shaft could slide down a little further into the bushing - just an observation. If the shaft and smaller gear are not too hard you could drill a 1/8" hole in them at the top surface and insert a 1/8" split pin so the gear is pinned tight to the shaft. Looking at the video if the hole is up there it would not affect the gear teeth engagement. Just a couple of suggestions if you want to eliminate the play.

· Texas Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #532 ·
Looking at the three washers you have at the bottom of the vertical steering shaft gear in the video they may be keeping the shaft from fully engaging with the larger gear teeth on the cross shaft. If you only had one washer in there the steering shaft could slide down a little further into the bushing - just an observation. If the shaft and smaller gear are not too hard you could drill a 1/8" hole in them at the top surface and insert a 1/8" split pin so the gear is pinned tight to the shaft. Looking at the video if the hole is up there it would not affect the gear teeth engagement. Just a couple of suggestions if you want to eliminate the play.
Good suggestion on the roll pin. I may do that on the next Winter re-fresh. I have it 1/2 way back together right now.

· Texas Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #533 ·
Craftsman project on hold, had a pluming issue, and a scare. Needed to go to town and pick up a new float valve, the old cheep one wouldn't shut off. Got to the end of the driveway in the 07 Ranger. looked down and saw the oil light lit. IMMEDIATELY shut it down in the middle of the road. I checked the oil and it was 1/2 Qt. low. I started it back up and the light went off. I added 1/2 Qt. of 5-20 and went on to town. No issues. Not sure what caused it, Truck sits for days between uses, and we went from the 80's to 40's. Don't know.

Wood Gas Electrical wiring Machine Flooring

· Super Moderator
14,275 Posts
I wonder if the sensor is on it’s way out. it’s better that it fail and give you a warning than not work at all. 1/2 quart down is pretty sensitive. Maybe check the wiring /connector going to the sensor. Could be getting a bad connection.

Reactions: KennyP and larrybl
521 - 540 of 569 Posts