Garden Tractor Forums banner

A Texas update

40K views 752 replies 20 participants last post by  larrybl 
#1 ·
Hi all! Been off-line (literally) for the last 4 days. Started with the black-outs sometimes lasting 2-1/2 hours off and 20 minuets on. We are still with intermittent power, but not as bad now. Then on day 2 the water quit. Not frozen, just no power to pump it into the tower. I have learned several things the past few days.

1. A 20-gallon garbage can full of snow makes 5 gallons of water (For flushing only).
  2. Ice sickles can reach 3' in length!
  3. I hate using the smart phone.
  4. It's still cold!

Things I don't understand.

1. Why are Stadium lights, and City sky-lines more critical than our homes for power.

Things I believe.

1. Covid-19 and Green Power is playing a major role in Global Cooling.

Supposed to be back in the 70's next week here.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good to see you are back posting a bit on GTTalk. Hope that the power problems get better soon. Hopefully you don't get a bunch of rain to make things even worse. Stay safe and well.

#5 ·
Ive been in Texas over 30 years and never saw a 3' ice sickle before. I did prep, but ended up draining the gas to use in the little generator. We got 1/4 to 1/2" ice with 2" of fluff on top. Many many accidents. I haven't been off the property for 6 days, and haven't showered for 5. I will need to venture out soon, but the stores are still closed including Walmart! From what we have seen on the news, there is no reason for them to open as the shelves are bare, and the trucks are not moving.

Good news is we have water and power back.

Attachments

#7 ·
Glad to hear you have water and power back. One winter I was stuck at home for two weeks thanks to winter storms and the highway being closed because the plows could not keep up to the wind and blowing snow. Can remember back in the 70's when we used to get real winters roads would be closed for three or four days and then they would be sort of open but one lane in sections as the blowers would work away to get traffic moving again- sometimes took a couple of weeks to have both lanes open again and still no shoulder to pull off onto in spots. Learned that keeping a cupboard stocked with non perishable food items was important - can remember storing milk cans full of milk in snow outside the barn until we could deliver them to the creamery. Mother Nature can be a friend or a challenge at times - stay safe.

#10 ·
Warming up some, 30 outside and 60 in here. Correction on the ice sickles, over 4'! Took a stroll this morning. Need to run to town later, not sure why as all the store shelves are empty. Will try and get the gas can and a propane tank filled. Power and water has been back on for 24 hours now.

Attachments

#17 ·
Back to 74* in the shop with only the little electric heater and one burner in the propane heater. Watching a Star Trek rerun.

I retired from work the end of January, Have a feeling that another hardship is brewing.

Covid shut a lot down last March making TP, water and cleaning supplies short

Weather shut down a lot making Propane, water, and perishables short.

This current administration will probably make retirement funds short.

#18 ·
Larry , glad you and others in Texas are doing better . Watching the news while typing this there are reports of people with shocking electric bills , in the thousands , hope your not one of them . Hopefully when the roads are clear and food stores can start getting restocked , Al