Garden Tractor Forums banner

Ags For Looks ?

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  OkieGt 
#1 ·
I dont really do any plowing(as in soil) just mowing, I might in the future though, just cause I can. lol.) and plan on using the snow blower. But I love the look of the ag tires. The tires I have now are in great shape so its not like I need any right now, so it would be just a thing for looks. I actually like the looks of the atv tires as well. anyone run them just for looks?

whats the biggest I can run on my mf 16?

Do I need to get bigger front ones too, If I want to continue to use the mower ?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Working in the dirt the Ags are hard to beat. But if your talking snowblower and or a blade for snow, I prefer Turfs with Chains.

They lay down a better tire contact patch than the ags(My 318 with blower mounted was helpless till I put chains on). My brother has a JD 420(heavier than my JD 318) and he runs Chevron Trencher tires unloaded and has no complaints at all(of course the 420 does have diferetial lock). Some of the ATV Tires look like a good compromise.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think you'll need to stick with stock size to use the mower deck. Your stock rear is 23x10.50/12. If you go to say 26x12/12, likely there's not enough room between your mower deck body, and/or the deck's rear wheels. 23x10.50/12 ags look great as well & won't interfere with the mower deck.

#5 ·
I like AG'S and have them on 2 of my tractors for looks, may have located another set of 23/8:50x12 for the other Ford 100.Someday hope to hve them on all of them

#6 ·
Have you thought of looking for a used set of AG's on rims. You can sometimes get them in reasonable shape for less than the cost of the tires alone. That way you could switch them out in the winter. I've used AG's for plowing snow, 26/12x12 Carlisle True Power on a JD x475. They were pretty useless without chains but did the job once I had them chained up.

#10 ·
If you follow the above advice on size per deck usage, I think you'll find the ags do have purpose if you have some slopes and get forced to mow a little wet. They do increase traction under those circumstances. It is a bumpier ride though and if you've got some acreage it can wear you out a little. Love the looks! :thumbs:

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
You know those alloys on the Cub look nice, but just seeing that pattern makes me think they would really pop if two-toned to mock a farm tractor. Maybe with yellow center spokes and the wheel rim either left bare, or painted silver... Kinda like this.

Miniature-Tractor.jpg

But AG's all the way! I run them with the narrow tri-rib tires in the front on narrowed Massey wheels. I do run the stock turf's with chains and loaded for the snow-thrower in the winter though. (I just had not swapped them over in this photo yet)

Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.