Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
workin on "home" part of "home&garden" here.
Earlier this year I bought all new interior doors for the house. 3 "pre hung", 3 just the door slabs. We like the "knotty" look, and really like the look of some knotty alder doors we found at menard's. Not thrilled with the 3 "pre hung" style, the alder jambs are veneered OSB. I saw a chart somewhere by the door display that said that solid wood jambs were an "option" to order, making the pre hung's double in price. 3 of my existing doors have unfinished pine jambs in great shape, and solid wood to boot.
I am finishing in Minwax"golden oak" stain then I have a gallon of semi gloss poly to coat them with. All are stained, 2 doors only have 1 coat, all else has 2. On one side each of 2 doors that have the 2 coats, I went ahead and put a 3rd coat on becaus ethey still had weathered looking chalky spots. On the rest that I have 2 coats on, the 2nd coat of stain took care of that.

Anyways on the jambs that came with the pre hung's... On the 1st one, I had a hard time getting into the house alone, those are HEAVY. Even though the doors appear to also be veneered garbage wood. That one had teh jamb and packaging come apart on me getting it into the house.
On the other 2 pre hung's which are narrower doors (and therefore a little lighter..... I have all different size doors in this house. 2-30" wide, 2-28" wide, 1-24" and a closet that is an 18" door. I didnt build the house and cant speak for those who did back then. On the 2 pre gung doors that didnt fall apart on their own, I took the jambs apart for staining and finishing. The lap on the vertical legs of both splintered to crap in the process of pulling apart.

Making door jambs is easy. Done it before. problem is does anyone know where i can buy some 1X6" alder lumber? Never seen it in any lumberyard around here.
and how does alder take stain /how will it look as compared to pine taht is done with the same stain? Will it be at least "close" match? or will it look stupid?

·
Registered
825 Posts
workin on "home" part of "home&garden" here.
Earlier this year I bought all new interior doors for the house. 3 "pre hung", 3 just the door slabs. We like the "knotty" look, and really like the look of some knotty alder doors we found at menard's. Not thrilled with the 3 "pre hung" style, the alder jambs are veneered OSB. I saw a chart somewhere by the door display that said that solid wood jambs were an "option" to order, making the pre hung's double in price. 3 of my existing doors have unfinished pine jambs in great shape, and solid wood to boot.
I am finishing in Minwax"golden oak" stain then I have a gallon of semi gloss poly to coat them with. All are stained, 2 doors only have 1 coat, all else has 2. On one side each of 2 doors that have the 2 coats, I went ahead and put a 3rd coat on becaus ethey still had weathered looking chalky spots. On the rest that I have 2 coats on, the 2nd coat of stain took care of that.

Anyways on the jambs that came with the pre hung's... On the 1st one, I had a hard time getting into the house alone, those are HEAVY. Even though the doors appear to also be veneered garbage wood. That one had teh jamb and packaging come apart on me getting it into the house.
On the other 2 pre hung's which are narrower doors (and therefore a little lighter..... I have all different size doors in this house. 2-30" wide, 2-28" wide, 1-24" and a closet that is an 18" door. I didnt build the house and cant speak for those who did back then. On the 2 pre gung doors that didnt fall apart on their own, I took the jambs apart for staining and finishing. The lap on the vertical legs of both splintered to crap in the process of pulling apart.

Making door jambs is easy. Done it before. problem is does anyone know where i can buy some 1X6" alder lumber? Never seen it in any lumberyard around here.
and how does alder take stain /how will it look as compared to pine taht is done with the same stain? Will it be at least "close" match? or will it look stupid?
Menards should have it . Far as stain it's already darker then pine so you'll have to buy a piece and try to match the pine. That wood will be at end of trim isles. Menards layouts a bout same in all their stores.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I saw different styles of alder trim but but no "1-by" boards. I saw pine, oak (red and white) cherry, poplar, and a couple of others but no alder
I have 6 doors to replace in my house. Already got the replacement doors in (knotty) alder. Doors stained in 2 coats of Minwax "golden oak". I still have to coat them all with at least 2 coats of semi gloss polyurethane. (Which I have here) before I hang them.
My existing jambs are all in good shape, and pine. 3 of the existing jambs are still bare wood. The other 3 would need replaced or stripped and restained. Hoping that I could strip them well enough to match the bare ones as the ones that are already stained are darker than the golden oak. And in order to strip them I wouldn't want to strip them in place, for fear of stripper getting on the existing flooring. And the fumes within the house having 2 cats running around I wouldn't want any to drip on them. So those jambs would have to be taken outside to strip and stain them anyway// so starting with new wood would be less work. I know someone who works in a cabinet shop, have a call into him for a price on 8, alder 1 by 6s with which I would make my own jambs out of.
I also have a bundle of brand new, bare, pine base boards here already to cut down and fit for as much of the house as they will cover and more of the same is readily available at a different local lumber place besides Menards. For a cheaper price than Menards has it for.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I can stain the existing pine jambs that are bare and not have a stupid looking contrast between the alder and the pine that would save me some time and work. I have some oak in the mix throughout the house as well particularly in the bathrooms. My cabinets are still in good shape. All are in good shape but the ones in the full bath are showing some wear of the finish, from moisture exposure from the shower over the years, I'd like to simply refinish those and retain them. Which is a little bit of work. Again I'd have to take them out in order to do. Thoughts are to replace the oak trim around all my windows with Knotty alder too. Maybe. Again have to see how much of a mismatch I wind up having.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Not sure what Menards you shop at but all that I've looked at carries 1x6's. alder. This wood and other select wood for projects will be with the glued up boards rounds and table tops.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I know there not the fastest inventory updater. They are showing 11-8ft ,7-6ft ,4-4ft.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't looked there in a while, but they didn't have any when I bought the doors. I've had the doors for a while now just getting around to doing the work, has been quite the busy summer, lotsa trips to the mother in laws house (DON'T get me started I'm not happy about it) means I can't get my own stuff done)
I have a buddy who works for a cabinet shop, I called him yesterday to see if he could order me some.... It looks like he can, I just gotta remember how to convert what I'm after to "board feet", I haven't had to deal in that unit of measure since jr high wood shop in the early 80s
I'm gonna look at Menards stock once again and see what it will cost me there.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I looked at Menards site after you said something and wow .. $30 per 1x6x8.... Yikes. Thanks though for the info. My buddy at the cabinet shop can get it, will be alot less moolah. I just might have to wait a week or so as they have minimum order quantity to abide by, its a dollar amount, regardless of what species of wood is in the order. For the difference I'll wait a bit if need be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts