Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kohler engine's Identification plate on the Cadet 72 that I'm restoring is allmost unreadable . So since I've spent so much time and money on it so far I thought the best thing to do for the I.D. plate was to make a new one . I've included pictures of both the old and new one . What do you think ? Any feedback would be appreciated . And thank you for the ongoing advise .

I still have to stamp the numbers onto the new plate .

Attachments

· Super Moderator
55,879 Posts
Where did you get the new plate?

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased the correct thickness aluminum sheet, sheared the plates to the correct size ( same as the original I.D.plate ) . Jigged the hole punch to put the correct size and location hole in each corner then filed the notch in the bottom edge . That was the easy part ! Next I contacted a local silkscreen printer and had them produce an exact reproduction of the printing on the plate . Then they printed it onto the aluminum plate and now all I have left to do is procure the correct size metal stamp set and transfer the serial number and spec numbers over to the new plate . I saved the original three-eared fasteners that were on it originally but am considering using 1/8" pop rivets instead . I'm also making sure that the throttle and choke cables don't come anywhere near the new plate . And yes, I did make extra plates if anyone's interested . It just takes time and patience and lots of money !

· Accumulator
13,411 Posts

· Super Moderator
1976 Sears SS18, 2008 JD 2320
14,294 Posts
Not too far at all. The plate looks great and is the kind of detail that will be noticed by those who are into this sort of thing. Have you posted photos of the tractor yet?

Reactions: mike912e

· Registered
241 Posts
I posted pics on my profile of before and progress so far . Check them out . And thank you to everyone's kind words . Here's a few pics of before and now .

Attachments

· Tractorholic
1,634 Posts
I think it looks AWESOME! My only question to you is did they use some sorta special ink or paint on it? It's so close to the carb I would be concerned about it getting gas on it and peeling it off.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not ink but rather it's a type of paint . It takes three days for it to dry on the new ID plates . Since this is my first time doing this type of thing I guess time will tell . By the way, all of my cub is powdercoated except for the instument column, the engine block and the transmission case . I also have to paint the gas tank as it's sections are soldered together and would fall apart during the 400 degree baking part of powdercoating . I thought about taking the sections apart, removing all traces of solder and silversoldering the sections back together . Then it would tolerate the baking temps . Not quite there yet though . I think possibly warping the tank sections would have to be overcome first due to the silversolder requiring higher temperatures over the softer lead solder . This stuff just keeps me thinking all the time and I love it . At 67 years old I gotta keep on going and these Cubs are just the ticket ! Oh, I almost forget, the silkscreeners have a very strong cleaning solution they use just prior to printing . That should help the paint to stay inplace . My next project is a Cadet 124 and I plan to powdercoat more pieces on it . That will require more dissassembly and more work . Oh well, it never ends does it ?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.