Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Looks like it is an AMF 1010, brother to the Massey 10 made from mid 60's to mid 70's. AMF actually made these for Massey, just used their own sheet metal and paint job for their brand.

What's up with it?

·
Cub Cadet Collector
1,457 Posts
Yes,that is definitely an 1010. I would think it would be worth $400-$500 if it runs and drives. It looks to be in pretty decent shape,just needs a wash.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...did some Googling...what is the "Vari Drive"?

I'm needing some edumicatin. I'm thinking of maybe starting to think about the possibility of taking a look at it.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
OK, I guess that if you were mowing, you can leave it in the same gear, but slow it down a bit if you run into some heavier grass in order to keep the blade speed up?
Hey Old Buzzard, yes, just like that. Or if the ground was rough, or to help slow down to cut around obstacles. As has been mentioned, there are two belts, plus one central pulley. The engine end is fixed, so is the transmission end. The pulley is a special double pulley where the central divider is free to move back and forth. The pulley moves towards and away from the engine. As it does that, the engine belt is moves closer and further from the center of the pulley. The transmission belt always moves in the opposite direction from the engine belt, thus creating a variable ratio from front to rear.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
The mf8 is a 3 speed Will. Maybe that's where the 3 came from. Nice system. The vari speed seems to be a source of problems when it's worn or not maintained properly. I'd like to get a MF or JD with that system on it. Seems to me it would be good for blowing snow.

·
202 Posts
Think of it as a 4 speed manual with a clutchless semi automatic transmission in front of it. The 5 speeds on the the side of the dash tower are shift on the fly, the 4 on the floor require a clutch to shift.. unless you can float it.

·
Nut Case
1,940 Posts
The vari-drive is a great system as long as it is working and adjusted. I have it on my Deere's. It enables you to adjust speed without losing implement speed or pushing in the clutch. Great for mowing. Once I got used to it I find I use it all the time. In the stock pulling classes they call it a cheater stick. It enables you to get a few more feet after your engine starts to bog. Its tricky and takes a few tries to adjust it right but doesn't lose adjustment till the belts start to wear. Its solely dependent on good belts.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 21 Posts