Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Tractorholic
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked this up last week for $60 delivered:bounce: how could i resist?:smile1:

it doesn't run as yet. the contacts on the back of the key switch are dirty and not sending power as it should. the steering is nice and tight, the pump shaft is excelent and overall it doesn't really look like it has alot of hours on it, just sat outside most of it's life. gonna get it running this next coming weekend.

·
4,482 Posts
That ole girl sure looks good for living outside.
Great find.

·
Tractorholic
255 Posts
You made a typo .... should say picked up for $600 delivered !!!!

.... or if you didn't make a typo then .... why would someone give that Massey away?

Good for you !!!

Btw it has two hydraulic control levers .... wonder why ???

·
Tractorholic
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MF14 plowday special said:

.... or if you didn't make a typo then .... why would someone give that Massey away?

Good for you !!!

yeah $60 deeelivered.:rocker2: about time i get one of them good deals for a change. i'm hoping somebody with a little more knowledge of these will chime in to shed some light on the controls.

·
1,087 Posts
Nice find there on the MF 1450! I have one that does the maintaning of the cutting of the grass.It does an awsome job,You'll like it.As for the aux.remote lever I'm not too sure why it has one?Good luck getting her running!Where are you located?

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
Great looking Massey. Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
54,469 Posts
Heckuva score. Nice tractor. Hope you get everything going your way on it easily.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Well, you stole that one.
In really good shape too. You'll like cutting with that one. The foot pedal is nice.
That's what I'm useing for cutting duty now, and really like it.

Are the ports for the second hydraulic lever plugged at the valve, or are there hoses laying under the seat?

Nice find.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Alright, now that is the deal to beat. Have someone deliver a Massey 1450 in great shape for $60. Who is going to be the one to break that kind of deal? I would have to mug someone to beat that LOL

Congrats on the new toy and super deal.

·
Tractorholic
1,564 Posts
Hey brokenbudget, have I got a deal for you.........want to double your money? That's a fantastic deal. Controls should be the same as for the 1650: On your right there are two levers next to each other on the front of the fender, the closest one is to raise and lower the mower deck while the other is to raise and lower a 3 point hitch. (The 3PH is probably capped as I don't see any signs of it being installed. The one next to the rear is the rear axle shift control. In the right position you're in low range and in the left position you're in high range. The rear most lever, which it doesn't look like you have is for the rear PTO. On the left side of the saddle, just below the dash there is a handle that goes up and down, that is your speed control and parking brake. You have to have the clutch pushed in to engage the parking brake which is in the bottom position. Good luck with your new tractor, it looks great.

·
Tractorholic
255 Posts
At least the seller got scrap price for it .... minus delivery fee !!!

I suppose this did not happen through an online classified .... he would have a zillion replies.... some offering more hoping to bump out the first reply.

OK Brokenbudget .... how did this deal happen????

·
1,499 Posts
Boy did you get a great deal! Good for you. You should get a lot of use out of it.
I have had a 1450 and 2 1650's and all three had the second hydraulic valve even though only the 1650's had the three point hitch on them. I think the second valve may have come installed and plumbed in even if the three point hitch wasn't. They all have a slot for a third valve but I have not seen any attachment that would have used the third valve.

·
4,482 Posts
MF14 plowday special said:

Good for you !!!

The 55 series always came with 2 valves and levers. even without 3 pt. 3rd valve was an option. All to 50 series I saw have 2 valves as well.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Sixty bucks!!! You are so lucky man. I'm drooling over that. There has been a 1450 for sale near here for months and the guy wouldn't take 800 for it. It dosen't look as nice as yours. Great find.

·
Tractorholic
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:smile1:thanks for the info, advice and compliments guys!
yeah, $60 is what paid for it.....
my best friends dad used to run a big farm and small engine shop up intil retirement about 15 years ago. i used to work for him at said shop for a few years. he still works on small engine stuff for fun and a hobby (like me). but when something is a little more sticky than he wants to work on, i get the job. i like the chalenging projects that nobody else can't or doesn't want to figure out. he figured after an hour trying to get this massey going (just trying to get it to at least turn the engine over) he didn't want to work on it anymore. the owner didn't want to spend a whole lot on it considering it was sitting outside behind the garage for almost 5 years (sat beside the garage for 5 before that), and asked me to make an offer figuring i could use it for a few parts.
i jokingly said 50 bucks with a smile on my face. he said to up it to 60 and we have a deal. john had already dropped it off at my place to have a look see at the problem before the owner and i had a chat about it or before i even had a chance to look into the problem.
now the problem: it needs ALL the safety switches replaced. from what the original owner said, the tractor was in the garage when the garage got a whack of lightning. he said the tractor would run fine when it wanted to crank over but that was intermitent, acted like a dead battery or no contact. he had it to a couple of shops but they were less than happy to look at it as it wasn;t a new tractor and was a bit dirty so says the owner. he tried to figure it out himself and that was when the tractor would not crank over at all. tractor went to stay outside after that, a new one was ordered to replace it.
fast forward to last week after the owner got sick of mowing round it and noticed johns ad in the fonebook for fixing the unfixable he decided to give it a try. the rest is history...:bounce:

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Nice story behind that tractor. Good luck sorting it out. I can't believe it sat outside all that time and dosen't look rusty!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts