Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Local Lawn & Garden dealers I am friends with gave this to me, its been in their shop for a number of years.

The Previous owner hit something and didn't want to repair it. Turns out it was just a sheared flywheel key and a bad blade.

I will make this my new push mower to use around the house :D

This one was made in 1990 and was one of the last models to be built by Bolens before gardenway fully took over in the early 90's.

Like most Bolens machines they added luxury to every model, a turn handle height adjuster & self propelled.

The unique thing about these mowers is their patented mulching blade and deck shell design which was invented by Bolens way back in the early 60's. The same deck design , blade and self propelled system was the same for over 30 years.

Still need to fix the leaky fuel valve on the engine, as these were prone to leaking and have been obsolete for some time now.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Real nice looking mower. He really did a number on that blade though. Darn lucky it only took the key out of the flywheel. Could have easily took the crank with it.

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
Very COOL Doc, looks to be a great little mower and new enough to make it a every day user !! :thumbs:

Very nice and Free !! :dancingbanana:

Reactions: Bolens 1000

·
A Little Off Plumb
7,831 Posts
Nice looking mower - how does the quick change height adjuster work?

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
Nice looking mower - how does the quick change height adjuster work?
Its really as simple as it looks, all you do is turn the handle to switch the height of all 4 wheels.

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
Orbit-Air revisited? Nice score!

·
1,204 Posts
Very nice mower. I recognize that height adjuster handle. They used them on the Duratrac decks too. I remember one of my first mowers was a yellow Bolens push mower. That thing was super old. It had that same round deck style. I used it for years and it smoked like crazy. It finally died when I let my neighbor borrow it.

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First actual mow with my new Bolens

Installed a new blade, new air filter, fuel line and had to replace the obsolete and "outlawed" gas tank :angel:

These mowers are worth every penny someone paid when they were new, it handles and performs just as well as the orbit air mower and the extra HP of the Briggs helps as well :D

Mowed some thick grass and couldn't find any clippings!

Does anyone have a price book from 1990? Wondering what the list price was for this when new.

I think now that I know it runs well the next step is replacing the front drive wheels so I can get some traction!

Attachments

·
Summer.
4,536 Posts
Nothing like a good little mower.

·
Blackjackjakexxix
2,371 Posts
I have a similar model,has the deck a just ment on the front instead of the rear,your right they cut very well,did until I had a carb issue,has a Walbro on it,I've Google the numbers,I would like to repack the carb,not rebuild it,no luck,Brian you have one by some chance,this junk gas is getting to be a real problem

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a similar model,has the deck a just ment on the front instead of the rear,your right they cut very well,did until I had a carb issue,has a Walbro on it,I've Google the numbers,I would like to repack the carb,not rebuild it,no luck,Brian you have one by some chance,this junk gas is getting to be a real problem
Sounds like one of the ''Eliminators" with a bagger?

I can supply genuine walbro parts, what are the carb & engine numbers may even have a kit or gaskets instock

1 - 15 of 15 Posts