Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tractorholic
8,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my wife wanted a small motorcycle to ride and get her license on so I bought her a used Honda Rebel 250 , it looks like it's going to need a new battery ( without a kick starter I don't trust it for her ) Is there any brand that is better then another or buy the cheapest and just change it out every other year or so ?

Reactions: larryd and JRJ

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
No, I would not get the cheapest battery. A cheap one would be more likely to leave you stranded even if you changed it out every year. I usually get my batteries from Batteries Plus. I also keep the bike on a battery tender when I'm not riding. You can connect a pig tail to the battery and run it out so the end is convenient to just plug in to the tender when you get home and park it.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
If it's not a "smart" tender, then best to unplug them a week, plugged in a week, and so on. A smart charger turns itself on & off to prevent constant charging, which can lead to sulfation. I've just been using Walmart batteries in my bikes & ATV the last several years & have great service from them. Used to I would buy the higher priced brands but get no better life from them at 50% more $'s.

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Daniel is right use the smart tenders. I have a couple of them and I use them to charge tractor batteries that come in low on charge. It takes it a while but I feel I get a better charge and is better for the battery.

Reactions: Alc

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My two cents.. I buy harley batteries for my Harley.. I got 7 years out of the last battery. I will buy another harley battery at 10 percent more then any others. My buddies buy cheap batteries and they get 3 years out of them.. Now.. How they maintain them (battery tender or what else) i'm not sure. I use a tender that turns off. I use em all winter.

Reactions: Alc

·
Tractorholic
8,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info .The battery is junk and after looking on the web last night there seems to be limited brands , heck Sears didn't list one lol . Autozone & Advance have them ,they aren't very $ at $39 I was thinking it was going to be a lot more because my son has gotten a few batteries this year but those were for bigger batteries

1 - 7 of 7 Posts