Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I found this picture on the internet and find this to be an interesting small van its a US Postal vehicle so I guess anyone could have built it but I' curious does anyone know any more about these

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
Nope, but seen them before. We're milk delivery vans too, I think.

Noel.

Reactions: MNGB and Vrdaddy

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,309 Posts

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,821 Posts
It was called the "Sit or Stand Van" Custom built by Twin Coach Company of Kent, Ohio. They built 3,791 of them between 1953 and 1955 when Twin Coach Company was bought out by The Flxible Co. out of Kent, Ohio which built motorcycle sidecars, funeral cars, ambulances, intercity coaches and transit buses.

Also known as the Twin Coach Fageol "Pony Express" postal van.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Coach

The US Mail used those and the 3 wheeled Cushman built Mailster and the right-hand drive Willys Jeep. They settled on the Jeep and Cushman as there primary delivery vehicles after Twin Coach Company was bought out and used those up until 1986.

In 1986 Ford built the (LLV) Long Life Vehicle based on the Ford Explorer platform with an all Aluminum body by Utilimaster Corporation out of Wakarusa, Indiana.

Found this and a couple other less informative sites that mentioned the "Sit or Stand Van". The other mentions of it are all copies from the Smithsonian Museums web page.

https://postalmuseum.si.edu/exhibition/on-the-road/1950-1986

https://www.uvm.edu/landscape/dating/mail_service/mail_vans.php

Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle Van Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Van Land vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

That's all I can find on that cool looking little dude.

Attachments

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,309 Posts
Hey all went in to town to the shop this morning a this is sitting in the supper club parking lot had get some pictures I know what is was and is not sure what their using it for

attachicon.gif
HPIM0856.JPG
attachicon.gif
HPIM0857.JPG
attachicon.gif
HPIM0858.JPG
Thanks for sharing the pictures - interesting - the "Flower Power" slogan in the window brings back a memory.

Had a friend who worked part time at a car dealership afterschool and during the summer in the early 70's. A young man and lady pulled in one day driving a VW Beetle that had a bunch of flower power stickers on the doors, fenders and hood. The car looked pretty clean and the dealership owner soon had them test driving a few cars as they said they were interested in upgrading from the bug to a larger vehicle. A deal was struck with the owner allowing a decent trade in allowance for the bug figuring he could peel the stickers off and quickly flip it to get his money back out of it to someone looking for a second car. Turns out that under almost every flower power sticker was a rust blister and the dealer had to spring for a new paint job and a bit of body work that he hadn't planned on so he didn't make much money out of the bug.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Everything I can look up, sez that it was made by Grumman.
According to Wikipedia, "The body and final assembly is by Grumman, and the chassis (based on the 1982 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer) is made by General Motors, with the powerplant (2.5L I-4 TBI "Iron Duke" and, in later production, General Motors 2.2L I-4 iron block/aluminum head engine), instrument cluster and front suspension similar to those used in the Chevrolet S-10pickup and S-10 Blazer sport utility vehicle."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV

Reactions: MNGB

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,821 Posts
I don't know who made the LLV lol. I copied what I found on the Smithsonian's web site. I do remember hearing that the running rear was built by GM.

My great aunt Ester ran 1 of those back in the mid 80s to up until she retired. She used to drive a Jeep before that. I remember her getting stuck all of the time and my pap having to take his tractor up the road to pull her out. She was always getting that thing stuck in the snow and mud.

·
andweknow.com
605 Posts
that is a cool trailer bus

Reactions: MNGB
1 - 13 of 13 Posts