Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Massey Ferguson 10 tractor with tiller on craigslist in Ames Iowa Says it is located in Tama Iowa The ad is posted in the craigslist forum here for you all to look at it It says the engine is stuck but the rest looks to be in pretty good shape Im thinking $500 is too much but here in Iowa everyone wants to dicker so you always ask more than what you will take Is it worth the hassle Can parts be found for these engines and what engine is actually in these tractors Thanks Nick

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I would say yes to the basic question. The big question though is if that particular tractor can be had for a price that makes restoration feasible. IMO they are a really great looking GT, with the distinctive styling of the full size MFs of that era.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at the ad its in the craigslist forum of gttalk here I just got a response from him he said $300 is his lowest if he cant get that then he will find an engine and fix it himself

·
1,087 Posts
Looks like an early model with the starter generator on it. Not a bad looking rig. I'd say it's worth it.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
If you can get it for that, and the tiller is in fair shape, I'd say it's worth

getting.

"Is it worth restoring"? That depends on what you're looking to

get out of it. If you want a nice machine for yourself, to polish, or use, then

yes. If you want to sell it, and get your money back, then I'd say no. Only

the real rare ones can come close to that.

Those 10s are a nice machine to run.

There's lots of good info in the forum here, that you can search through.

They have a Tecumseh HH100 engine. Check with the site sponsors for

parts. I believe Ben at Oldpath was offering rebuild kits not to long ago.

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
I agree with Will.$300 is a fair price with the tiller.Looking at the picture looks like the tiller is complete with the extension.Looks like it would be usable.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The purchase price is irrelevant. If you like it or want just buy it. What you should factor is what and how much you are willing put into it.

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
Don't think this one has the variable speed?? Those cab be bother. Not hydro, just manual trans, nice and simple. Those were Tec engines, but haven't seen one with starter/gen. Most had electronic ignition that went bad, but think this is too early for that, and that is a plus, easier to fix. Think kits and parts for it, should be easy to find. Most expensive part is gonna be the Seat! Heh! And with tiller, well worth the $300, not so sure on the $500 price.

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Looking closely at the picture, it almost looks like aluminum

peeking through the red paint on the dash. That'd be a bonus.

That would make it a 66 or 67 vintage.

Can you get the serial # from him?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Have you left yet, if not hurry.

Reactions: propane1

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
Early model with the extension on the tiller. I have payed more for less tractor. Noel

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
It would certainly go for more than 300 up here. There used to be a fair number of them coming up for sale here but in the last year the supply seems to have dried up. I paid 300 for an MF8 and a 10 with a tiller would likely fetch 600+ here in the land of rare GTs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No not yet I have other more important things I have to spend money on right now If I had an extra 300 it would be though Who knows though if he doesn't sell it in the next couple weeks I may jump on it For the last 2 months our hrs at work have been cut back to 35-38 where normally we run 45-60

1 - 20 of 23 Posts