Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got the reel on the EK10 I knew it needed some back lapping to get a decent cut again. It would leave grass behind and not cut right in places.

So after successful lapping on the Bolens walkbehinds (Which is real easy as you just flip the belt and use the engines own power) I decided to find a way to do it to the shaft drive ones without taking it to a shop and waste money.

I installed the PTO kit on the 1050 then changed the pulley for a sprocket. Lined up the tractors and was good to go!

Fired up the 1050 and lowered to an idle then brushed on the lapping compound to true up the reel and knife bed. :D

Attachments

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never had to sharpen a reel mower. What does lapping do?
Back lapping basically establishes an edge on your reels and levels out the bed knife.

The reel lapping compound comes in a jello like form where it sticks to the knife bed and lubricates as your lapping.

You need to have the reels rotating backwards to do this and have the bed raised just enough to touch the blades. You need to keep adjusting the bed as you go, mine had a high spot on one side so I had to go longer than expected.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Great ingenuity, Bolens 1000.

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
Way to use your head Doc.. So the bed is the sharpening device that you put the lapping compound on and bring it up to just start touching the blades and keep adjusting it til true?

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Way to use your head Doc.. So the bed is the sharpening device that you put the lapping compound on and bring it up to just start touching the blades and keep adjusting it til true?
Yes

Then run it through the paper test to see if you have it properly sharpened and adjusted right! :D

·
483 Posts
A reel mower definitely gives the best looking cut but are by far that hardest to sharpen and set up correctly. Good luck with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts