Garden Tractor Forums banner

Bantam Tractors....Tiny!

13K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Powerwagon896 
#1 ·
These Bantam are about the smallest GT's ever built. They were actually garden tractors, not just lawn riders.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
These are probably laughed at, a lot, but I think they are pretty neat little tractors. Have you seen a picture of one, with a front mounted mower? That little bracket at the end of the hood, on the tractor in your picture, is the pivot for the lever that raised the mower.

I think there was a little car named Bantam too. I don't know if it's the same company though.

#3 ·
That thing would be awesome for the kids to scoot around on in the parades at the tractor shows. That is what my little MF8 is for besides trim duties for mowing. I wouldn't mind having one of them little buggers.

Bill I do believe there was a car called Bantam, but like you I am not sure if they were made by the same company.

#4 ·
NUTNDUN said:
That thing would be awesome for the kids to scoot around on in the parades at the tractor shows. That is what my little MF8 is for besides trim duties for mowing. I wouldn't mind having one of them little buggers.

Bill I do believe there was a car called Bantam, but like you I am not sure if they were made by the same company.
I have a car encyclopedia... I'll have to see if I can find it. For some reason the name "American-Bantam" is in my head.

#9 ·
There was a Bantam car made. It went through a few name changes,company receivership changes...

Austin, Bantam, American Austin, American Bantam. I'm still trying to find if there's any connection to the tractors.

The cars were made in Butler, Pennsylvania... ring any "bells" with anyone?

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
hooligan said:
Austin was a British car company, a few upstart sport car companies used austin bodies in american roadsters, you may have heard of one of them, the Ford A/C cobra
Yeah, an AC cobra has been on my "want list" for a long time,be it real or in kit car form.They weren't actually Austins ,although they were British built.

#13 ·
hooligan said:
Yeah I want one too, not sure if I want the GT500 though, might want the GT350, easier on gas, and a little quicker off the line
Your thinking of the Ford Shelby Mustang when you say GT500 OR GT350.I've had many Mustangs over the years,not sure which one was my favorite.I know if I had a choice of any Mustang,it would be the 1969 Boss 429,not really all that drivable but I would just like to have one.

G
#14 ·
mjodrey said:
Your thinking of the Ford Shelby Mustang when you say GT500 OR GT350.I've had many Mustangs over the years,not sure which one was my favorite.I know if I had a choice of any Mustang,it would be the 1969 Boss 429,not really all that drivable but I would just like to have one.
Yup your right the cobras were the 427 and 289, brain fart, sorry. but my Mustang would be the Shelby GT350

#15 ·
Me,I like the big blocks.I know,impractical with the fuel prices the way they are but still gotta like 'em.

#21 ·
:welcometogttalk: Bantam

These little machines are something I've always wanted to pick up. 2 years ago I missed a complete and running Bantam that sold in the double digits. $75.00 to be exact... I missed it by less than an hour. :wallbanging:

#24 ·
Bill56 said:
There was a Bantam car made. It went through a few name changes,company receivership changes...

Austin, Bantam, American Austin, American Bantam. I'm still trying to find if there's any connection to the tractors.

The cars were made in Butler, Pennsylvania... ring any "bells" with anyone?
I was born in Butler & yes the Bantam Car Company was located there @ one time. (before my time actually)

It should ring a bell W/anyone that remembers the WW-II "Jeep". The winning prototype was presented by Bantam.

Unfortunately the US government did not feel that Bantam could produce the numbers needed & the "Bantam" design "Jeep" was built under license by Ford & Willys.

Some history here. http://www.allpar.com/history/bantam-jeep.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.