Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have Sears ST16 from the 70s. Im not sure when, but my great grandfather was using the st 16 and it blew up. I assume it was lack of oil because there is no oil in the crank case and instead there is rust, either that or the piston failed. Anyway there is a hole in the case. I'd repair the case and repair the internals but that side of the case can't be saved. It's cheaper to put a different engine in and call it a day. I have 2 engines laying around but they need some work to adapt to the frame. I have an 8hp b&s from a generator and a honda 3 wheeler motor that would need a lot of adapting and I have to get parts and put it back together. I also have wheel horse gt1100 with the stock 11hp b&s motor. Should I buy a motor or use one I have? Have you guys done this? I'll post some pic when I find them.

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
I put a Kohler 14 HP on mine! Had to find a new home for the fuel tank as the starter was hitting the framework there!

Reactions: Achto

·
Registered
1967 Craftsman 856C & 857C
210 Posts
My grandpa did a swap once with one of his tractors after I drove it, blew it up, and crapped my pants when I heard the boom. That had a 14 hp Briggs then swapped it with an 8.5 hp Briggs though otherwise I honestly don't know much about swaps. All I can say is it honestly is up to you, it is your tractor. It does depend on how much money you have and want to spend too. If this is a budget build and you wanna save money use one of the motors you got, if not, I know some people used the predator motors for swaps from Harbor Frieight. Maybe try that. Just a suggestion, not sure if it helps or not

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have an 8hp b&s from a generator and a honda 3 wheeler motor that would need a lot of adapting and I have to get parts and put it back together. I also have wheel horse gt1100 with the stock 11hp b&s motor.
There is a good chance that the generator motor has a tapper PTO shaft, if so you would need an adapter on the crank to make it work. The 3 wheel engine would be a real under taking. It could be used to make the tractor move but not sure how you would be able to use any PTO driven implements. Really don't understand why you would want to have a Horse put down, but then again I'm partial to Wheel Horse's. ;)

Personally any engine is better than the Techy that it came from the factory with. JMO. I would look for a Briggs, Kohler, Honda, or Predator for it. Unless you what to stay original, then I would look for a replacement Techy.

·
93 Posts
Everyone will have a different opinion, but my 3 ST16s are all still original Tecumsehs. and still work fine. The thing is, any engine from this time period, is going to need work from time to time, as they are 50 years old.
Roper, the builder of these tractors, used 16hp single Briggs on some models. I would use that, if I just couldn't use the originals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts