Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am replacing a sprocket that runs a #40 chain. I see that sprockets are listed by pitch size. Is a 40 pitch sprocket what I want to use with a #40 chain? From the research I've done it appears that would be the case. I need a 26 tooth 1" bore sprocket that will run a #40 chain.Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Reactions: 29 Chev and Paulgo

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good question. Another thing I would like to know more about! I'll be reading along with you. :) Paul

·
370 Posts
#40 chain is same as 40 pitch chain. You are looking for a 26T 1" bore 40P sprocket. Check local bearing/chain stores about having them, Surplus Center lists them on their website, their item number is : 1-2123-26-E. You may want to look at replacing the chain also with the sprocket. The chains do stretch and wear out on the rollers.

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,013 Posts
Most farm supply and auto parts stores stock or can get sprockets and hubs that can be welded together to make what you need - for example in your case you would buy a hub with a 1" bore and then the corresponding 26 tooth sprocket for number 40 roller chain and weld the hub to the sprocket. Here is a link to the TSC web site that shows hubs and sprockets http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/implement-hubs-sprockets-chains .

The concept is that you can use the hub and sprockets or pulleys to make up a gear or pulley with the correct size hub and the correct number of teeth and chain pitch in the case of a sprocket or correct belt width and outside diameter in the case of a pulley which saves on inventory costs.

·
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys this is great information. Thank you for all your help. I already have the new chain, just need to order the sprocket assy or the individual pieces.

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
Make sure that it really uses #40 chain rather than #41 chain. #40 is wider than #41, but has the same pin-to-pin distance. I found that on the Bolens Power Ho's that I have the correct chain is #41.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts