Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a wondrous day. Day started out with me not quite awake, throwing a log into the fireplace and laying my hand against some metal. Got a nice 3 inch burn, first couple layers of skin gone. Bandaged that up and go into the shop to do some wood working. I have some parts I stained last week. Noticed the darn wood was still not dry. Crank heat up to 70 and will give it another couple days to totally dry out before I put shellac on them. Soooo, next the snow blower.

Pulled the blower pto/gear off to examine it. What do I see? The bearings are in great shape, cool. BUT... I'll show ya what the gear looks like (no teeth.. LOL). These shafts are no longer available from what I have found so far, so I need help with a source. I need number 15: http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=snapper&mn=7060377+-+48%22+Snow+Thrower+Attachment+%28MF%29&dn=5771 Anyone have one? OR a good source?

Gas Auto part Household hardware Metal Titanium

Water Natural material Fluid Liquid Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not the blower I have. Mine runs off of a PTO shaft to a gear-box on the left side (sitting on tractor). This drives a chain to the auger.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Any chance you could buy a standard sprocket of the right size and have it welded onto the shaft, or even make a new shaft from keyed shaft stock and again use a standard sprocket. That one is really totalled!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've thought about talking the shaft to a machine shop and have them turn the gear down. Then slide a new sprocket on and weld it solid. Probably about all I can do unless someone has one they are willing to part with. From what I can tell, the sprocket is a part of the shaft?

·
508 Posts
Are you sure that the one side of the sprocket isn't a cap? Kind of appears that way in your picture. It seems to me to be a lot of machining to make something like that and manufacturers are always looking at cost factor. By the hash marks I am thinking cover.

Kurtee

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dropped the shaft off at the machine shop this morn, they called me back few hours later with it fixed. They had to turn it on a lathe to cut/break the welds. Then they drilled out a sprocket/welded it on. Going to cost me ~85 when I pick it up sometime this week. They could not find a #40 chain sprocket with 12 teeth but they had a #40 13 tooth one just a tiny bit bigger. I hope it works, not enough of a size difference to change ratio much. Guess I'm happy, I won't have to try it out until fall/winter now... I HOPE. During this time I'm going to remove/replace the chain, no need to use old worn out chain. Might even take the drum out and replace the other gear, I see those are still available. We'll see when I get it apart if it needs replaced or not.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally went to town and picked up the shaft/gear. They did a very good job on it, came back looking darn near new. Between playing with my new tractor (1936 AC Unstyled WC) and some wood working I was/am way behind on, I put the gear box back togather. If it ever STOPS raining..... I will get the box put back on the blower, check the chain and the other gear to see if they need replaced, etc. Now I will have to wait (not complaining) to try it out on some of the white stuff.... yea, I can wait for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts