Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
DR. Bolens
19,160 Posts
The Engine has been replaced , the tractor body is from a mid to late 70's model possibly a G14 since its the hi/lo 6 speed transmission. Hood and fender are from a different model too.
Looks like a mixed bag with this one
They are good well built machines

·
1,357 Posts
It won't lack for power. Looks like they made a plate to bolt to the frame that the motor bolts to. That's a good way to do it. Same approach I have used on my tube frame repowers. And it appears that the hood was carefully trimmed, not crudely hacked. I myself don't see any issue with a reasonably well thought out and crafted repower on a GT. IMHO that is.

·
1,357 Posts
So, the battery goes under the gas tank? Or behind the seat? I see they fabed a heat shield, so the hot air doesn't blow back on the tank. My first repower on a 1050 had the tank where the battery was originally, with the battery behind the seat above the hitch sitting on a plate. I reworked it a few years ago so the seat tips up with a Cub Cadet tank mounted under it, and the battery back where it's
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wheel

supposed to be. But that's just me. whatever works for you. It looks like they did a decent job piecing it together. This tractor has a Kohler Command 12.5 hp. Love it! It's my main mowing tractor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I looked and he did build a shelf if you will to hold the tank above the battery and the bottom of the shelf has a plastic “insulation barrier” if you will. I have several loose wires and the air filter looks terrible but I’m gonna try to work on it after work and on the weekends to see if I can get the Briggs to start. I’m sure the carb is nasty but the tank was very clean and dry. I’ll send more pics as I get closer to starting and running it.

·
1,357 Posts
It should work alright for you. So what if it is a "mixed bag". Just tidy up a few things and it ought to be a real workhorse. Like Eric stated, the big cast block Briggs motors were plenty stout. They aren't terribly hard to work on either. I believe parts for them are fairly easy to find too. Hopefully it runs good for you. Should. Myself, I wouldn't be a bit worried about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It should work alright for you. So what if it is a "mixed bag". Just tidy up a few things and it ought to be a real workhorse. Like Eric stated, the big cast block Briggs motors were plenty stout. They aren't terribly hard to work on either. I believe parts for them are fairly easy to find too. Hopefully it runs good for you. Should. Myself, I wouldn't be a bit worried about it.
I’m really excited about it. I think the man who repowered it did real well. I think I also have 2 extra generator starters for it. I just pulled it in my shop becuase it’s raining here. Can’t wait to get to work on it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts