Garden Tractor Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok. Got to the battery. Very corroded cables as can be expected. I went ahead and hooked up jumpers. It turned had spark. Hooked up some gas and gave it a whirl. Didn’t even try to fire. Wasn’t turning real fast. Starter generator got warm so I stopped. I’m going to put new battery cables on it a new plug and try again. Carb of course is dirty. I’ll try to clean it out this week.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,020 Posts
if it was sitting outside, the points probably need a small file or some emery cloth ran across them to clean them up. They tend to get a bit of corrosion on them that keeps them from making good contact.

Those engines can be converted to solid state ignition using a newer magnetron style coil. but that depends if the magnet on the flywheel is oriented in the North or South position. converting it will eliminate the need for the points and condenser.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
if it was sitting outside, the points probably need a small file or some emery cloth ran across them to clean them up. They tend to get a bit of corrosion on them that keeps them from making good contact.

Those engines can be converted to solid state ignition using a newer magnetron style coil. but that depends if the magnet on the flywheel is oriented in the North or South position. converting it will eliminate the need for the points and condenser.
I believe it has been inside for 15-20 years. But I may go ahead and convert it later. It has spark now I’m hoping it has enough to at least start even for a few seconds. But I’m no pro on these! Thank you for your input. I’ll keep you posted!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yep, clean up your cable connections, get a good battery in it, remove the air cleaner element and give it a sip of gas down the elbow. Ought to at least run a few seconds. Like you said, clean the carb.
Will do! I’m thinking the next couple days I’ll know! Then on the weekends I can get it in better shape to run abit!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm a bit envious of your tractor, I've always liked those big single-cylinder cast iron Briggs motors. I'm amazed that the hood didn't have to be butchered or raised more than it has. If they could have found an air cleaner adapter like I have on my G-10, the left side might not have even needed to be cut.
View attachment 412805
Thank you! I like that air cleaner adapter! My hood should be raised a small amount after I put the bolts in to hold it on. It’s just sitting on there in the photos.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So, the battery goes under the gas tank? Or behind the seat? I see they fabed a heat shield, so the hot air doesn't blow back on the tank. My first repower on a 1050 had the tank where the battery was originally, with the battery behind the seat above the hitch sitting on a plate. I reworked it a few years ago so the seat tips up with a Cub Cadet tank mounted under it, and the battery back where it's View attachment 412732 View attachment 412733 View attachment 412734
supposed to be. But that's just me. whatever works for you. It looks like they did a decent job piecing it together. This tractor has a Kohler Command 12.5 hp. Love it! It's my main mowing tractor.
Wow! That's a unique swap!

·
1,312 Posts
Wow! That's a unique swap!
It was just what I had on hand several years back. The tractor started out as a quickie throw together to be used as a "beater" for mowing the rough stuff along the property lines. It has been refined and altered a few times since. I quite possibly will tear back into it again for a few more changes.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts