Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have looked everywhere for the torque specs for the head bolts. I found the engine assembly manual, but I could not find anywhere that specified the torque spec. I was berated in my previous post about modern engine oil because I mentioned it leaked a little, so I have now ordered a new gasket set. Can I reuse the old bolts, or should I get new ones. Then what should they torqued to. I realize I could just look up the torque specs for that size bolt, but it seems there is probably a factory recommended spec.

·
A Little Off Plumb
7,853 Posts
Here is a copy of page 17 from the original manual - mentions torque spec for the bolts and to do it in three steps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Whether or not to use new bolts depends on the bolt strength and whether or not the original torque value puts the bolt into yield. At the values given I would suggest not i.e. on a standard bolt in metric terms then the size of the bolt and torque values specified mean you can use them approximately 3 times before any degradation sets is likely to set in . In fact, in my opinion the values given seem rather low for a head bolt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's like a brand new tractor, or engine at least. So I finally got around to replacing the head gasket on Saturday. While I was in there I cleaned up all the deposits and other nasty crap. Re-assembled everything and got it fired up, but didn't really use it on Saturday. Today I mowed the yard with it, and it was like I had a 5 HP motor before, now I actually have 10. Before I had to mow pretty much everything in L2, sometimes L3 if it was light, even down to L1 if it was really thick. Today the grass level was L2 -L3 in the old tractor. I did both yards, which usually takes 2 hours or so, in an hour. Never had to take it out of H2. I tried H3 but that didnt give it enough time to actually cut the grass. It really is like I have a whole new tractor. Wish I would have done this 2 years ago when I bought it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree with you ,Chris,, Dr. B and chev.. It's a lawn mower for crying out loud .!! Your'e not trying to build a dragster..

Mrfixit;; follow above as mentioned,, in sequence,, you'll be fine..

I had to do mine once,, in a hurry,, Would have liked to run it a few min. and then re torque. But it is a small chore with the shroud and coil and other things.. I snugged them all up,, repeated ( in sequence ) and did it a third time.. It's lasted years...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts