Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
1,263 Posts
Hi ekmann999 I would think that a Briggs L head would be a fantastic conversion on a 1050. That 1050 is geared low so you'd be well powered with that 18HP. Even the 10HP and even the old 8HP had a ton of pulling power. The foot print should be the same as what mine was in my original H14. I did have to make some motor mounts and I cut the tower sides to fit around my dual exhausts. The link to my post pretty much outlines what I had to do to make it work.

All in all I love the conversion. Those L heads are known to be pretty reliable. You can find them in the 1980's Craftsman tractors. Mine has been great and runs so smooth. It's carb is apart at the moment. It would not run any longer even with the choke on. Upon splitting the carb I found that the main carb body gasket was completely gone on one side due to age. I have a new gasket on it's way I think that will cure the problem.

One hint, if you do the conversion find yourself a large frame hood and use that instead of trying to add length to the tube frame hood. It would be a LOT easier to cut the large frame hood to length than to fabricate and weld in an addition to the tube frame hood like I did. I did not think of it until after I was done and looking at my parts 1886 tractor hood gave me the idea. Best of luck with yours.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.